A delicious recipe for air fryer bang bang shrimp! Crispy shrimp and spicy, cream sauce that tastes just like the restaurant favorite you know and love!
We’re all trying to save money on food, and nothing absolutely ruins the food budget like going out to eat. But as someone who seriously LOVES restaurant appetizers, I understand how hard it can be to give those up.
So many of them are deep fried, which makes them a little annoying to make at home.
But no fear. The air fryer is here to rescue you from all that. In just a few minutes, you can be eating the restaurant-style appetizers of your dreams, without the terrible hit on your wallet.
What you’ll need
- Peeled, deveined, uncooked shrimp. Frozen is fine, just defrost it first!
- Sweet chili sauce (found the in Asian section of the grocery store, near the soy sauce)
- Siracha (found in the same place as the chili sauce!)
- All purpose flour
- Panko bread crumbs
- An egg
- An air fryer! (Here’s the model I use and love.)
💡 Frugal Tip
Aldi is my favorite source for frozen shrimp! They are pretty small, but smaller is better for this recipe, and always less expensive per pound.
Costco is okay but their shrimp tend to be large (larger than ideal for most fried shrimp recipes).
If you are at a grocery store, don’t bother getting “fresh” shrimp the the seafood counter. It is almost always frozen shrimp that they have defrosted on site. That’s fine, but the frozen bag keeps longer and is more convenient.
Let’s make some shrimp!
Start with the sauce
Easy peasy. Mix the mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, and siracha. Cover up the bowl and pop it in the fridge while you make the shrimp.
Then bread the shrimp
Get your shrimp out and pat them dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
We need to take a few bowls out to bread the shrimp. One bowl for the cornstarch, one for the beaten egg, and a third bowl for the mix of flour and panko. Line them right up and start breading the shrimp. Working in batches, coat them first in the cornstarch, then the egg, then the flour/ panko mix.
Air fry and assemble
Prepare your air fryer basket by generously spraying it with non-stick cooking spray. This keeps the shrimp from sticking and makes it much easier to clean.
Lay them in a single layer, working in batches if necessary. I was able to fit a whole bag of Aldi shrimp into one batch using my air fryer.
Preheat to 375 degrees, and place the shrimp inside for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
They will turn light golden brown, but if you are used to deep fried shrimp, they may look pale to you. That’s okay! Don’t overcook them, or they will be rubbery! They’re getting tossed in the sauce anyway.
Toss them right away, and place them on a bed of lettuce if you want to get fancy. Sprinkle with parsley and green onions and make sure you serve them right away.
And that’s it! You just made air fryer bang bang shrimp!
What to serve on the side?
- How about a big salad? Even though this is technically an appetizer, I have no problem serving this as a main course as well!
- For a fun appetizer night, serve these alongside some frozen appetizers made right in the air fryer.
- Simple fried rice is an Asian-inspired dish that would be a great complement.
📖 Print the recipe here
Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons siracha
- 1 lb shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- shredded lettuce
- chopped fresh parsley or green onions
- Combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, and siracha in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Pat the shrimp dry and season with salt and pepper. Place the cornstarch in a small bowl, and the beaten egg in another medium bowl. In a third bowl, mix the panko bread crumbs and flour. Working in batches, coat the shrimp in cornstarch first, then egg, then the flour and panko mixture.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees. Spray the basket with non-stick cooking spray and place the shrimp inside in a single layer. Air fry for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway. They will become slightly golden brown.
- Toss the shrimp in the cold sauce while they are still warm. Sprinkle with parsley or green onions. Serve immediately, over shredded lettuce, if desired.