These cute and sweet cookies are soft, chewy, and absolutely delicious! Perfect for any party or celebration.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- Soft and chewy. The perfect sugar cookie base made even better with the addition of rainbow sprinkles. So festive and fun!
- Quick and easy. These cookies come together in just a few minutes and bake up fast too.
- Make ahead friendly. You can make the cookie dough ahead of time and bake them as you need them, or bake the cookies and freeze them.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these colorful treats:
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- rainbow sprinkles
- parchment paper
- baking sheets
Step One: make the dough
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Get two baking sheets and cover them with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar for about three minutes until they are all mixed together well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again. Then add an egg and some vanilla extract, and mix on medium speed until everything is combined.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. On low speed, slowly add this mixture to the butter mixture until it is all combined.
Step Two: roll and flatten
Make balls the size of tablespoons and roll them in rainbow sprinkles. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gently flatten them with a glass. Sprinkle more sprinkles on top if desired.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the edges
🥫 Storage instructions
You can freeze any leftover cookies or keep them in an airtight container at room temperature. If you freeze them, make sure to let them thaw before eating. And if you keep them at room temperature, they should last for about 3-4 days.
Yes! Sure! Non-pareils are great, and so is colored sugar.
Use all butter, no problem.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Don’t skip the step of flattening with a glass, or you’ll have little ball-shaped cookies.
- For extra pretty cookies, use two colors of sprinkles. Roll half the dough in one color, and the other half in another color.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
Having a simple birthday get-together? You’ll love these too:
- Cajun chicken tenders are a great finger food
- So are deep-fried jalapeno poppers
- Red hot and blue copycat potato salad is great for parties
- And everyone loves a nice glass of blackberry lemonade.
📖 Here’s the recipe
Birthday Cake Sugar Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 375. Prepare two baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar in stand mixer for about 3 minutes, until creamy and fluffy. Scrape down sides and combine again. Add egg and vanilla, mix on medium until combine.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a separate mixing bowl. On low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to butter mixture until combined.
- Roll into tablespoon-sized balls and roll in the rainbow sprinkles. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Gently flatten with a glass. Sprinkle with extra sprinkles in desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set. They will be light in color but the edges should be starting to turn golden.