Fresh apples are cooked with brown sugar and fall spices, then topped with a delicious sugar cookie-like topping. Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
For the filling:
For the topping:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees with the rack in the center. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with aluminum foil.
2. Combine the apples, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in a large mixing bowl. Pour the filling into a deep pie dish or 9×9 square baking pan. Cover it with foil, place on the foil lined baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes, until the filling is juicy and the apples are soft.
3. While the filling is baking, make the topping. Beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat for about 3 minutes, until fluffy. Add the egg and beat 1 minute. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and beat on low until just combined.
4. Remove the hot filling from the oven and remove the aluminum foil. Drop the topping on by heaping tablespoons, spacing relatively evenly.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven and immediately pour 1/4 cup of caramel onto hot cobbler.
6. Allow to cool 20 minutes before serving. Can be served warm or room temperature. Best with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
A fully baked cobbler can be made a day ahead and warmed in oven, but preparing it ahead of time and then baking does not work well.
Keywords: apple cobbler with cookie topping, caramel apple cobbler, easy apple dessert