A chewy chocolate chip cookie with crisp edges, soft caramel pieces, and salty pretzels. The best combination of sweet, salty, and chocolate!
Everyone has their favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, and convincing people that yours is the best is ultimately pointless. (However, this base recipe is actually the best, so let’s just settle that right now.).
But when you add caramel and pretzels to this recipe, it becomes a totally over the top delicious cookie.
Step by step:
Prepare the ingredients. Take the butter out to soften on the counter and let the eggs come to room temperature. Crush the pretzels by smashing them with a rolling pin in a plastic bag. For the caramels, I just buy the prepackaged little rectangles and dice them into squares. That probably sounds tedious, but it’s not that bad! You can always get caramel bits or caramel M&Ms if that sounds easier.
Cream the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. This usually takes about 3-5 minutes, and can’t be rushed. They should look this when done:
Then add the egg and vanilla. Use a separate bowl for the dry ingredients, add them in slowly, and then add your mix ins.
If you have parchment paper, you’ll really want to use it for this recipe, as the caramel is sticky.
Bake them at 350 until the edges are golden, or a little longer if you like them crisper.
- Make sure the butter is softened so that when you cream it with the sugars, it whips up nice and fluffy.
- Stir gently and slowly when adding the chocolate chunks, caramel, and pretzel sticks.
- Since we are dealing with larger additions, I like to make these as a jumbo sized cookie, using a 1/4 cup cookie scoop. But you can make them whatever size you wish, as long as you adjust the baking time.
Need more drop cookies to stash away in the freezer?
- Homestyle sugar cookies are awesome and freeze SO well.
- Soft and chewy molasses cookies are one of my all-time favorites.
- Sour cream cookies can be frozen before icing.
???? Print the recipe here
Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies with Caramel and Pretzels
- 3/4 cup salted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 12 oz package chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 11 oz bag caramels, chopped into 4 pieces each
- 1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
- Preheat oven to 350 with the rack in the center. Prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and blend until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate mixing bowl and add to the butter mixture, mixing on low, 1 cup at a time. Scrape down the bowl and fold in the chocolate chips, caramel pieces, and crushed pretzels.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of cookie dough onto the cookie sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. (You will need to bake in batches.) Bake at 350 degrees for 14-17 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Store at room temperature up to 4 days.