Chewy and crisp sourdough baguettes that you can start in the morning and serve with dinner.
1. Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl and stir. Dough may look slightly dry but should come together. Cover and allow to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
2. Check consistency of the dough and add a tiny bit of water or flour until dough is soft but not wet overly sticky. Turn out onto counter and knead 5 to 10 minutes by hand. Dough should be relatively smooth.
3. Place dough in clean bowl and cover with damp tea towel. Allow to rise at cool room temperature 2-3 hours, until doubled in bulk.
4. Turn out onto counter and divide in half. Shape into rough 10-12 inch logs and cover with damp towel to rest 10 minutes.
5. Prepare flat baking sheet or special baguette pan by spraying with vegetable oil spray and dusting with cornmeal.
6. Shape baguettes into 15 inch long loaves and rub with flour. Make slashes 1/4 inch deep with a lame or sharp knife. Place on baking sheet or baguette pan and cover with heavily greased plastic wrap. Allow to rise 1 hour at room temperature or 3-4 hours in fridge.
7. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
8. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown, and allow to cool on rack.
Keywords: baguettes at home, sourdough baguettes, things to bake with sourdough starter