This recipe is the perfect meal for anyone looking for a little bit of spice in their life. Crisp, moist chicken tossed in an easy buffalo sauce makes this a budget-friendly dinner that’s easy to love.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- They’re a perfect mix of spicy and savory
- The chicken is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Deep frying makes everything better!
- You can customize them with your favorite toppings, or leave them plain for non-spicy people.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this crispy chicken sandwich:
- black pepper
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- all-purpose flour
- garlic powder
- peanut oil or vegetable oil for frying
- hot sauce (use Franks or Texas Pete. Tabasco will be too spicy!)
- Deep fryer or Dutch oven (you can also use a skillet or frying pan if you’re very careful)
- Paper Towels
- Mixing Bowls
Step One: Marinate
Cut the chicken breasts into thin pieces so they will be easier to eat as sandwiches. Pound the chicken thin with a rolling pin or mallet. Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl and place the chicken inside. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
Step Two: Bread
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and shake off any excess liquid. Then coat each piece of chicken in the seasoned flour mixture until it is covered. Repeat with all of the chicken pieces.
Step three: Fry
Preheat the deep fryer or Dutch oven filled with oil to 365 degrees. When the oil is hot, add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until it is golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside. Place cooked chicken on a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet while you cook all of the chicken.
Step FouR: Dip
In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the hot sauce for the buffalo sauce. Dip the cooked chicken into the pan and coat it well with the sauce. Put the breaded chicken on a bun with some lettuce and a pickle. Add ranch dressing or blue cheese if you want, and serve it right away.
🥫 Storage instructions
If you have any leftover chicken, put it in an airtight container and store in the fridge. It should last for 3-4 days.
You can also freeze buffalo chicken cutlets for up to 2 months. Wrap them tightly in foil or plastic wrap, then place them in a freezer bag. When you’re ready to eat them, thaw overnight in the fridge.
If the chicken is totally submerged, 7 minutes should do it.
Yes. Try substituting 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs for a 1 cup of flour for extra crunch.
Splash some white vinegar into plain milk and let it sit for a minute. It works in a pinch.
Of course! But it’s so easy to make, you might as well do it yourself.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- To make the sauce spicier, add in some cayenne pepper
- If you don’t have a deep fryer, you can use a Dutch oven or skillet to fry the chicken
- You can customize your sandwiches with your favorite toppings
- Be super careful working with hot oil. Keep little kids and pets out of the kitchen, and never turn your back on it.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
Having dinner at home with some picky eaters? Try these recipes too:
📖 Here’s the recipe
Fried Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- Deep fryer or Dutch oven
- Paper Towels
- Mixing Bowls
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 chicken breast cutlets pounded thin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 quarts peanut oil or vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup hot sauce such as Franks or Texas Pete
- pickle slices
- Marinate. Pound the chicken breasts thin, cutting into half if necessary for sandwich-sized pieces. Mix the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and place the chicken inside. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Bread. Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a large powder. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, shaking off any extra liquid. Toss in seasoned flour mixture until completely covered. Repeat with all chicken pieces
- Fry. Preheat the deep fryer or Dutch oven filled with oil to 365 degrees. When oil is hot, fry chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown outside and cooked through inside. Place on a paper towel-lined baking sheet while you fry all the chicken.
- Dip. In a large saucepan, combine the butter and hot sauce for the buffalo sauce. Dip the cooked chicken into the pan and toss until well-coated.
- Assemble. Place the breaded chicken on a bun with lettuce and pickle. Add ranch or blue cheese if desired and serve right away.