Inside: the best gifts for stay at home moms. Make sure to get her something she truly loves with one of the ideas on this list.
First of all, let’s discuss what not to get the stay at home mom in your life: a “mom” gift. You know. A t-shirt with mom sayings, a parenting book, or something she’s supposed to do with the kids.
The number one rule of gift giving is to make sure the recipient actually wants what you’re getting. So remember that mom is a person, with her own preferences, and you won’t go wrong.
That being said, here are some suggestions.
Jewelry she can actually enjoy
When you’re a stay at home mom, you spend a lot of time, you know, staying at home. So having a lot of jewelry that requires you to go somewhere fancy to enjoy it isn’t the most practical. Here are some simple pieces that mom will love and can still wear around the kids:
- A rose gold charm necklace with her initials or family initials. (This one is pretty and subtle!)
- A nice watch (or smart watch) is practical and sturdy.
- Stud earrings are versatile and less likely to be attacked by the kids. (You can get cultured pearl earrings from Amazon at an affordable price.)
Some light reading
Even if you love reading, when you’re in charge of little kids all day, it’s hard to sit down and get deep into a book. So for the bookwork mom, look for something light that can be read bit by bit.
But make sure the topic is not self help, parenting, or, God forbid, a cookbook.
Here are some favorites:
- Freakonomics is an interesting, non-fiction classic with short chapters than can be read through in one sitting.
- Little Fires Everywhere (now a popular show) is fast paced and so engrossing it doesn’t feel like a chore to get through.
- If mom spends a lot of time carpooling or picking up little ones, consider an Audible subscription so can pick a new favorite audio book every month.
- If she’s interested in homesteading, check out my favorite homesteading books here.
A gift card she can’t spend on someone else
Gift cards can be so personal or so impersonal. If you’re looking for the best gifts for stay at home moms, but you don’t know the mom so well, a gift card can be a great choice.
Just don’t get something generic that she’ll end up spending on the kids (like Amazon). Try to think of something she loves that is a little different. Some ideas:
- A nice coffee shop
- A massage, pedicure, or other spa treatment
- Her favorite clothing store
- A home decor place she likes
A personalized mug
It might be a cliche, but stay at home moms love their coffee! So a personalized (or simply personal) mug is something that she will see day after day first thing in the morning. It might not be the most creative idea out there, but it’s definitely a practical item.
- This seller on Etsy will personalize whatever you want on a mug with super cute font.
- This Mama Bear mug is super cute and has bear cubs!
A fun subscription box
Imagine a box filled with special goodies that arrives every month! Not only does mom get treats every month, but she will be reminded of how thoughtful you are.
The trick to picking a good subscription box? Make sure it’s for something she will want, but not need.
- nice wines
- loose-leaf tea
- gourmet coffee
- Birchbox (you can get a 6-month subscription here)
Time away from the family
Does this sound terrible? It shouldn’t. Everyone needs a break every once in a while, and stay at home moms are no exception. Don’t misread this as an adult date with hubby. Being truly alone is very special.
You could treat mom to an afternoon out by herself to go shopping, get her hair done, or just relax somewhere all alone.
Or consider taking out the little ones so she can have some peace and quiet at home.
When you’re all together again, take her out to dinner with the family.
She probably missed you guys.
Looking for gifts in a specific category?
- A baking mom or one who loves the Great British Bakeoff will love one of these English country inspired gifts.
- A gardener, whether new or experienced, is sure to find a favorite in this collection of gifts for gardeners.
Hope you find a winning present!