Sharp cheddar, spicy jalapeños, and a great loaf of sourdough combine for a recipe you’ll make over and over. Perfect to serve with chili or make into a sandwich.
- 3 cups bread flour (450 grams/ 15.85 ounces)
- 1 1/3 cups lukewarm water (300 grams/ 10.6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup mature, well fed sourdough starter (165 grams/ 5.85 ounces)
- 3/4 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup diced jalapenos, fresh or pickled (about 2 whole)
- 1 cup diced sharp cheddar
- Combine the flour, water, sugar, and starter in a large bowl and stir. Use your hands to incorporate any dry bits. Cover with a clean, damp tea towel and allow to rest at room temperature for 3o minutes.
- After the rest period, add the salt, cheddar cheese, and jalapenos and knead for a minute or two until everything is thoroughly mixed in. Cover with damp towel and allow to rise in a warm place for three hours, reshaping the dough into a ball once per hour.
- Heavily dust a banneton with rice flour. When it is time to shape the dough the third time, place the loaf into the banneton and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to proof overnight in the fridge.
- In morning, preheat oven to 450 with rack in the center. Remove dough from fridge and turn it out onto a sheet or parchment paper, trying to have it land in the center. Slash the top with a lame or very sharp knife. Place the parchment paper and dough into a lidded Dutch Oven and put the lid back on top.
- Bake for a total of 55 minutes: 25 minutes covered, 25 minutes uncovered, and then remove from the Dutch Oven and bake directly on the rack for 5 minutes to brown the crust. Bread should be 200-210 internally when it is done.
- Remove from Dutch Oven and remove parchment paper. Allow to cool on a wire rack 3 to 4 hours before slicing. Will keep at room temperature, tightly wrapped, for a few days.
Be sure to use a block of cheddar rather than shredded cheese.
You can use fresh or pickled jalapeños, just make sure the liquid from pickled jalapeños.
To freeze, allow to cool completely, wrap well, and freeze up to 1 month.
Keywords: cheddar cheese jalapeño sourdough bread, sourdough bread with cheese and peppers, artisan bread with mix ins