This lemon snack cake is perfect to make ahead for a busy week. It slices neatly to be packed in lunchboxes or snack containers, and is a good alternative to packaged cookies and treats. It’s not exactly healthy, but it is homemade and delicious. My kids love this cake in their lunches and as a dessert at home.
It is very simple to make, although timing it right is important to allow the glaze to soak in. Don’t make it without the glaze, as that is where all the lemon flavor comes from.
Hope you like it!
Looking for more recipes for your Bundt pan or pretty loaf pans?
Print it for laterPrint
Lemon Snack Cake
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
Ingredients for the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center. Prepare a loaf pan or small Bundt pan by spraying generously with cooking spray, or coating with shortening then dusting with flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the shortening and sugar until very fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Scrape down the bowl and make sure they are well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the shortening mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk.
- Pour into prepared pan ands bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until cake tester comes out completely clean. Place on wire rack, in pan.
- Immediately combine glaze ingredients. The glaze should be a translucent white, as pictured below. If it is too thick, add a little water. If it’s too clear, add more powdered sugar a bit at a time. Pour half of the glaze over the warm cake and allow it to soak in.
- Let the cake cool and absorb the glaze for about 20 minutes. Then carefully remove it from the pan and pour the rest of the glaze on top. It will sink in but leave a sugary coating as well.