A recipe for party-perfect mulled wine made easy in the slow cooker. Warm spices, sugar, and fresh orange make this the coziest drink ever.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Slow cooker mulled wine is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a winter drink without any hassle. This recipe takes only one hour in your slow cooker and adds the perfect blend of sugar and spice for a warm and comforting drink.
It’s super easy, great for parties, and delicious.
What you’ll need for slow cooker mulled wine
- Whole spices. I know it’s annoying to buy whole spices when you have the ground equivalent in your spice cabinet already. But whole spices are the key to making this recipe work! If you add ground spices, they will float to the top, look like dirt, and taste gritty. Not ideal!
- Fruity liquer. We love this the most with apple brandy, but you can absolutely leave it out and still have a delicious result. Try other liquers like amaretto, orange liquer, or Chambord.
- A fresh orange. Orange juice is just not the same. Get a fresh one.
- Dry red wine. We are adding sugar, so don’t pick a sweet and fruity red wine or the end result will be too sweet. And don’t waste a nice bottle on this recipe. The best wine for mulled wine is an inexpensive cabernet sauvignon or merlot.
Tips for success
Zest the whole orange before you start slicing!
Use a ladle to get the wine from the slow cooker into the mugs. Scooping it out is an awkward and messy affair.
I like to garnish these with whole fresh cranberries, mostly because we always have an extra bag in the freezer after Thanksgiving.
You can leave out the star anise if you want to, but it does add a lovely flavor and is beautiful.
- Add a splash of ginger ale to your mug after the wine is done.
- In addition to the spices, add a spring of rosemary to the slow cooker.
- Add apple slices, cranberries, or anything else that appeals to you.
More fall and winter drinks
- Apple cider sangria is warm and spicy just like this recipe, but served cold.
Sweet + Spiced Slow Cooker Mulled Wine
- Slow cooker
- 1 bottle red wine pick a moderately dry variety
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks plus additional for garnish
- 1 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 1/4 cup apple brandy optional, or try another flavored brandy
- Prep the orange. Zest the orange and cut it in half. Juice one half and reserve the other half for slicinng. Place the zest and the juice in thr slow cooker. Slice the remaining half of the orange into thin rounds.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Place the wine, sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise, and brandy in the slow cooker. Stir well, cover, and cook one low for one hour
- Serve. Ladle the wine into mugs and garnish with orange slices and cinnamon sticks.
Enjoy your holidays,