Soft and fluffy sourdough sandwich bread swirled with cinnamon sugar. Perfect for toast!
For the bread dough:
- 3/4 cup active, fed sourdough starter (5.8 ounces/ 165 grams)
- 3 cups all purpose flour (14.75 ounces/ 415 grams)
- 2 tablespoons honey (1.5 ounces/ 22 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
For the cinnamon sugar filling:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Mix all ingredients except the salt in a mixing bowl until they form a shaggy dough. Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
2. Add the salt and knead by hand, stand mixer, or bread machine, until a smooth, soft dough forms. (If using a bread machine, select the DOUGH cycle and skip to step 4.)
3. Place the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Place in a warm place to rise for 3-4 hours, until almost doubled in size. (The time for this will vary depending on the strength of your starter and warmth of your room.)
4. Grease a standard loaf pan with butter. Stretch the bread dough into a long rectangle, making the short side the same length as your loaf pan. Combine the cinnamon and sugar in medium bowl and sprinkle over the rectangle of dough. Roll up like a jelly roll and pinch all sides of the loaf. Place in the loaf pan and cover with greased plastic wrap. Allow to rise in a warm place for 3 hours, until the bread rises 1-2 inches over the edge of the loaf pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the center.
5. Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 40-50 minutes, until the loaf is very golden brown and 200 degrees in the center. Remove from loaf pan and allow to cool completely before slicing.
6. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze, tightly wrapped, up to 1 month.
If you want a very fluffy, high rising loaf, add a teaspoon of instant yeast with the salt and cut the rising times in half.
You can slice the entire loaf, freeze it, and toast the frozen slices.
Keywords: sourdough cinnamon swirl bread, sweet sourdough bread