A recipe for delicious, take-out style fried rice. Budget and kid friendly (it’s not too spicy), this is a great quick and easy dinner.
This is one of the very first things I learned to cook when I was first married. We were spending tons of money on takeout, and we had to stop because we were saving for a down payment for our house. So I decided to make our own Chinese food. I never mastered most of it, but I perfected our fried rice recipe. Since then it has saved me many times when I felt like there was nothing in the house to eat.
Spicy fried rice is one of those recipes with a lot going for it: easy, budget-friendly, ready in 15 minutes, and loved by kids. Everyone loves fries rice. This spice in this recipe comes from chili-garlic sauce, which easily be left out if someone in the family does not like spicy food. It’s not overly hot, though.
No special ingredients or equipment needed
The ingredients are almost always on hand and you can add shrimp, chicken, or any other meat for a complete meal. If I know I have a busy evening, I will prep the ingredients ahead of time by having the rice cooked ahead of time, chopping the veggies, and stashing everything in the fridge.
I have a wok, and I used to pull it out for this recipe, but to be honest, there’s no point. Any heavy pan, like a cast iron skillet, will work beautifully. You want to make sure you preheat the pan before you add the oil, and then heat the oil before you add any ingredients.
And yes, you will need a lot of oil for this recipe. It’s okay.
Step by step spicy fried rice
We begin with frying the eggs because we need a clean skillet. Make sure you use a big skillet or cast iron pan. Preheat it over medium heat and then preheat 1 tablespoon of the the oil. Pour the scrambled eggs into the skillet and let them cook, then flip.
Remove the egg, chop it and set it aside.
Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet, then cook the peppers and onions. You want them to be completely translucent.
Believe it or not, we are almost done! Add another 2 tablespoons of oil. Then add the rice and stir.
Now we add everything else! The peas, soy sauce, chopped egg, garlic chili sauce, and any meat or extra veggies you are using. Stir, stir, stir.
Here’s the recipe!Print
Spicy Fried Rice
A simple but delicious recipe perfect for busy nights and picky kids.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: main course
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: asian
- 4–5 tablespoons of oil, divided
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and gently stir until scrambled, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from skillet to plate, chop and set aside for later.
- Increase heat to medium high. Heat another tablespoon of oil in the now-empty skillet. Add the onion and bell pepper, stir until veggies are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the rice. Stir until rice is throughly mixed with the other ingredients, about 3 three minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, frozen peas, garlic chili sauce, and scrambled eggs. Stir fry for 4 minutes, until thoroughly heated and well combined.
- Serve hot.
Any cooked meat can be added with the rice for a complete meal
Keywords: fried rice, easy fried rice, picky eater dinner
Variations of spicy fried rice:
For chicken fried rice, add 2 cups of chopped, cooked meat with the peas and rice. (Shrimp would work well too.)
For vegetable fried rice, add 1 cup of diced cooked carrots and 1 cup of raw snow peas with the rice.