Knead this sweet yeasted coffee cake in your bread machine and then bake it in the oven for a sweet strawberry treat in the morning.
1/3 cup instant potato flakes
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup softened butter (unsalted)
1/2 cup water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons instant yeast
Strawberry Jam for Topping
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk or cream
splash of vanilla extract
1. In a bread machine or stand mixer, combine all ingredients to form a soft, slightly sticky dough. The dough should clear the sides of the bowl but will seem very soft. In a bread machine, complete the full dough cycle. (If using stand mixer: knead on low for 5-7 minutes with a one minute rest halfway through. When dough seems smooth and kneaded, rise in a warm place for 1 hour, in a covered, greased bowl.)
2. Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking oil spray or butter. Stretch dough to fit pan. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour OR in the fridge overnight.
3. After dough has risen, top with a thin layer of jam.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. The edges should be slightly browned.
5. Allow bread to cool for an hour or so and mix up the glaze. It should be easily pourable but not runny. Pour over the sweet bread while it is slightly warm.
6. Serve directly out of the pan
Any jam is fine, but a berry flavor seems to work best
Do not use fresh fruit as it will release juices and make the bread doughy and underbaked.
If you prefer to use salted butter, reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon
Keywords: sweet strawberry breakfast bread, bread machine sweet bread