Corn Chowder with Fresh Corn
A creamy corn chowder made with fresh corn, red potatoes, and plenty of cream.
Servings: 8 servings
- 8 ears fresh corn raw and cut off the cob
- 1 qt chicken broth or stock
- 6 slices bacon finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely choped
- 1 medium green pepper finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt plus additional, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper plus additional, to taste
- 1 lb. red potatoes scrubbed and diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
Cook the bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain, leaving the bacon fat in the pot.
Add the corn kernels, diced onion, diced pepper, and salt and black pepper to the bacon fat. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes, until onions and peppers are soft.
Add the diced potatoes and chicken broth. Bring pot to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce to simmer, and allow potatoes to cook, about 15 minutes. Poke with a fork to make sure they are tender. Add the cream and the cooked bacon, heat over medium until heated through.
Test for seasonings and add more salt and pepper as desired.
Does not freeze well but can be made a day ahead of time
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 747mg | Potassium: 395mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 437IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg