Old Fashioned Spice Cake with Caramel Frosting
Servings: 12 pieces
- Spice cake
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups cake flour see notes for substitutions
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup milk
Caramel cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup jarred caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the center. Prepare cake pan with parchment and/ or baking spray.
Beat the sugar and vegetable oil with an electric mixer on medium speed in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each.
In a separate mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
Add the milk and dry ingredients to the sugar mixture, alternating between the milk and the flour mixture. Mix on low until just combined. Batter will be thin.
Pour cake batter into prepared pans and bake 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack completely before frosting. Frost and refrigerate until serving.
- If you don't have cake flour, you can substitute 2 cups of all purpose flour and 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- Like many recipes with spices, this cake is best when made a day before serving.
- This recipe will fit in a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan or 2 (8 inch) round or square cake pans.
Calories: 524kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 385mg | Potassium: 92mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 463IU | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 1mg