The make-ahead dinner recipe is easy, delicious, and sure to please the whole family. All you need is a crockpot and about 15 minutes of prep time.
A complete meal by itself, although you overachievers can add some rolls and a salad.
- Slow cooker 6 quart or large
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked (do NOT use white rice!)
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup 15 ounce size
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast cut into ½ inch cubes
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli cut into small pieces
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup white cheddar shredded
- Add liquids and seasonings to a slow cooker. In a 6 quart or large slow cooker, add the brown rice, white onion, salt, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, and condensed soup. Next, add the dijon mustard and chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Add chicken and cook. Add the cut chicken, mix well, and cook on high for 2 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Add broccoli. When the chicken is cooked, add the cut broccoli and cook for another 1-2 hours until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid and the broccoli is tender.
- Add cheese and serve. Finally, stir in the parmesan cheese and white cheddar cheese until thoroughly mixed and melted. Serve immediately.
🧂 about the Ingredients
You’ll need the following for this easy slow cooker dinner:
- brown rice
- white onion
- black pepper
- granulated garlic
- Italian seasoning
- cream of chicken soup
- dijon mustard
- chicken stock
- boneless chicken breast
- fresh broccoli
- parmesan cheese
- white cheddar
🥫 Storage instructions
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. You can freeze small portions and reheat them for a quick meal, too.
Nope! You need to use brown rice for it to cook properly
Yes, sharp cheddar or cheddar jack are both good. I’d keep the parmesan in there though.
Defrost it first. If your chicken goes into the slow cooker frozen, it won’t warm up quickly enough and can stay at an unsafe temperature for too long. It’s a bummer, I know.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- You need to use brown rice for it to cook properly and not overcook. If you’re never tried it before, it’s hard to tell the difference in a dish like this. (Honestly! My kids are very picky and don’t notice.)
- If you want to prep this ahead of time, you can! Just dice the onion and chicken and measure out all the ingredients. Put everything in a Ziploc bag or container in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
- This recipe is very versatile. If your family doesn’t like broccoli, feel free to leave it out or substitute another vegetable