With little effort, you can have this delicious soup ready in just a few hours. It makes enough for a big family or leftovers for a few days. It’s warm, comforting, and flavorful.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced (about 2 stalks)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 bone in skin-on chicken breasts (2-3 pound package)
- 10 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- Brown the chicken and veggies. Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and cook the chicken, 1 minute per side. It will be browned but raw. Remove to a plate. Cook the onions and celery for 4 minutes. Add garlic, cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add everything besides noodles to slow cooker. Place chicken, broth, cooked onions and celery, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and sliced carrots in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, until chicken is cooked through.
- Shred meat and add noodles. Remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker. Remove meat and shred or chop into bite-size pieces. Discard skin and bones. Add back into slow cooker. Add egg noodles and cook on low for 30-60 minutes, until noodles are tender.
- Mix and serve. Turn off heat or else noodles will continue to cook. Stir and serve.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s warm and comforting. There’s nothing like chicken soup after a long, hard day.
- Super delicious. The chicken stays juicy and flavorful, there are fresh veggies and plenty of seasonings.
- It’s hearty and filling. This is a meal in a bowl!
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this cozy soup:
- garlic cloves
- chicken broth
- bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- wide egg noodles
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- 6-quart or larger slow cooker
- heavy-bottomed skillet
Step One: Brown the chicken and veggies
Put a skillet on medium-high heat and melt some butter. Add the chicken and cook it for 1 minute per side. It will be browned but not cooked all the way through. Remove the chicken to a plate. Cook the onions and celery for 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
Step Two: Add everything besides noodles to the slow cooker
Put chicken, broth, onions, celery, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and carrots in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked through.
Step three: Shred meat and add noodles
Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker. Remove the meat and chop it into small pieces. Discard the skin and bones. Add the meat back in to the slow cooker. Add in some egg noodles and cook for 1 hour, or until they are soft.
Step Four: serve
Check for seasonings and ladle into bowls.
🥫 Storage instructions
To store, let the soup cool and then transfer it to an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You can freeze this, but do it before you add the egg noodles. When you’re ready to serve, defrost and boil the egg noodle right in the soup as directed on the package.
Sure! Spaghetti is good in this too.
Yep! Just keep an eye on them so they don’t overcook.
Do I really have to brown the chicken and veggies?
Yes, it’s worth the trouble. It builds flavor and ensures the onions and celery are perfectly soft.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Don’t forget to season the soup! I like to use a full teaspoon of salt and plenty of black pepper. Check for seasonings before you serve; you might like more
- You can use a regular frying pan if you don’t have a heavy skillet. Just be careful not to overcrowd it, or the chicken will steam instead of brown.
📘 Related Recipes
- Slow Cooker Dr. Pepper Ribs
- Chicken Enchiladas in Creamy Sauce
- Slow Cooker Christmas Candy
- Crockpot Barbecue Beans