This copycat recipe will instantly earn a spot in your summer barbecue rotation. It’s easy to make and has a unique texture and flavor that blows any other potato salad recipe out of the water.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s the best potato salad you’ll ever taste. The unique texture and perfect blend of flavors makes it irresistible. It will be your new favorite side dish.
- You don’t have to make it ahead of time! This delicious salad is actually best immediately after it’s made
- It’s an easy recipe that can be made in under an hour, the perfect side dish when you need something at the last minute.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this perfect side dish:
- small red potatoes such as Red Bliss
- celery seeds
- Dijon mustard
- dill relish
- black pepper
- fresh parsley, dill, or green onion for topping
- large mixing bowl
- large pot or steamer for potatoes and eggs
Step One: Cook the eggs and potatoes
First, the eggs and potatoes should be cooked. Steam or boil the potatoes in a large saucepn until fork-tender but not falling apart. I usually cook the potatoes in a pressure cooker for 15-20 minutes.
Step Two: mix everything together
Cut the potatoes into halves or fourths. Place them in a large bowl and add everything else except the fresh herbs. Gently mix until everything is incorporated.
Sprinkle on the green onions or parsley right before serving.
🥫 Storage instructions
Potato salad can last in the fridge for up to four days. After four days, toss it.
To keep your potato salad fresh, make sure to store it in an airtight container.
This recipe does not freeze well…at all. Don’t try it!
No, you can use any type of potato that you like. But there’s something special about small, thin-skinned red potatoes that’s perfect in this.
Buy some! It’s important for the recipe.
This salad is actually best immediately after it’s made, but you can certainly chill it in the fridge for up to a day before serving.
They don’t share their original recipe, but it tastes just like it!
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Make sure the potatoes are nice and soft. There’s nothing worse than undercooked potatoes in a potato salad.
- This recipe has a lot of flavor as written. You shouldn’t need extra salt or pepper when serving.
- If you’re not serving the potato salad right away, add a little more mayonnaise before serving, as it will absorb it in the fridge.
- If you’re having trouble peeling your eggs, put them in a small bowl of cold water for a while, or try steaming them in your instant pot.
- Do not substitute Miracle Whip, sour cream, or low-fat mayo.
- For a little variety, try mixing in red onion or bacon bits too.
📘 Related Recipes
- Homemade dill relish is perfect for this
- Cucumber and tomato pasta salad is another side dish everyone loves.
🍽 Serve it with
A perfect menu for your next summer BBQ:
- Pulled pork BBQ sandwiches
- Skillet baked beans
- A simple cucumber and onion salad with vinegar
- Fresh fruit salad
- Creamy lemon pie
📖 Here’s the recipe
Red Hot & Blue Copycat Potato Salad
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cups mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- fresh parlsey or dill for topping
- Cook the eggs and potatoes. Steam or boil the potatoes until fork tender but not falling apart. (About 45 minutes of steaming or 20 minutes of boiling.). Remove them to a cutting board until cool enough to handle. Hard boil the eggs and place in a bowl of ice water to cool.
- Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters, depending on their size. Place in a large mixing bowl. Peel and dice the eggs and add them along with the remaining ingredients. Gently mix until combined.
- Serve at room temperature.