This easy two-ingredient recipe is the perfect way to celebrate the autumn season. Just mix apple cider and spiced rum together in a freezer bag, and wait for the magic.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s so easy! If you can open a bag, you can make this.
- Perfect for warm fall days. We’ve all been hot at the pumpkin patch. Fall can still be hot! This apple cider slush is cooling and seasonal.
- Make ahead. You can freeze overnight or start in the morning. Either way, all the (minimal) work is done ahead of time.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this treat. (Just a few ingredients!)
- apple cider
- spiced rum
- for garnish, you might want cinnamon sticks, whipped cream, apple slices, or a caramel drizzle, but they’re all optional
- gallon-sized freezer bag
- large casserole dish or another freezer-safe container
Step One: combine ingredients
Combine the rum and cider in a gallon-sized freezer bag. Close the bag carefully, and place it in a 9 x 13 dish to prevent leaks.
Freeze the liquid for at least 5 hours, or until it is a slushy consistency. To serve, remove from the freezer and pour into cups. If it is too frozen, let it sit on the counter for about fifteen minutes and pour.
🥫 Storage instructions
Have any leftovers? You can pop them back in the freeze and store them for later.
Make sure the slushies are sealed tightly in a freezer-safe container. This will help prevent freezer burn.
Consume them within a week for the best flavor and quality.
What kind of apple cider is best?
If it’s cider season, grab one of the fresh gallons from the apple orchard. If you can’t find any, just the shelf-stable stuff at the grocery store is still tasty.
Plain cider will eventually freeze totally solid. If you’re willing to check on it in the freezer, you can time it just right and grab it when it’s slush.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Even if you love cozy spices, don’t be tempted to add ground cinnamon or cloves to the mixture. They have a gritty consistency.
- Serve with spoons and a straw so your guests can slurp or scoop.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
Need more easy recipes for fall parties? Here you go:
- This broccoli salad is a huge crowd pleaser
- Dr. Pepper Ribs are easy and delicious
- Everyone loves a big scoop of perfect potato salad
- Plum cobbler is perfect for the edge of fall and summer
📖 Here’s the recipe
Apple Cider Rum Slushiess
- 1 Gallon-sized freezer bag
- 13 x 9 baking dish
- ½ gallon apple cider
- 2 cups spiced rum
- Combine the rum and cider in a gallon-sized freezer bag. Close carefully and place in a 9 x 13 dish to prevent leaking.
- Freeze for at least 5 hours, or until a slushy consistency is reached.
- To serve, remove from the freezer and pour into cups. If it has frozen too much, let it sit on the counter for about fifteen minutes and pour.