This recipe is perfect for an elegant, classic dinner. It’s packed with flavor and ready in just forty minutes. It’s delicious and perfect for serving over pasta.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s absolutely delicious. Sweet marsala wine, plenty of fresh herbs, and perfectly balanced flavor make this something you’ll turn to over and over.
- Quick and easy. (Really!) Ready in just 40 minutes, one pan, and not too much chopping. This dish looks complicated but making it is a breeze.
- Perfect for entertaining. Serve this dish at your next dinner party and impress your guests with its elegant flavors.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this amazing chicken dinner:
- all-purpose flour
- black pepper
- chicken breast cutlets
- olive oil
- sliced bella mushrooms
- diced onion
- marsala wine
- chicken stock
- heavy cream
- fresh thyme
- fresh chopped parsley
Step One: cook chicken
In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken on both sides and set aside. Heat the 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken (working in batches if necessary) for 5-6 minutes on both sides until browned and mostly cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
Step Two: cook the veggies
Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the sliced bella mushrooms and saute for 6-8 minutes. Add the diced onion and garlic to the mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Step three: make the sauce
Pour in the ½ cup of marsala wine and simmer over medium heat until it reduces by half. Pour in the chicken stock, heavy cream and sprinkle in the thyme. Stir and simmer over medium heat until it thickens.
Step Four: put it all together
Put the chicken back in the pan with any juices that came off of it. Cook it over low heat until the sauce has reduced by half. Stir in some fresh parsley and serve.
🥫 Storage instructions
You can store your leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. If you want to save them for a longer period, you can freeze them for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat them again, you can reheat them with the stove top or microwave. If they’re frozen, defrost them overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Yes, you can use chicken thighs or even a mixture of both thighs and breasts. You’ll need to pound the thighs thin, and they might need a minute or two more of cooking time.
Yes! Just make sure to use gluten-free flour for dredging the chicken, and check that your chicken stock and marsala wine are gluten-free.
Believe it or not, yes! I hate mushrooms and just don’t eat them. The flavor is still great.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
To make sure your chicken is cooked through, use a meat thermometer and check that the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, cut into the thickest part of the chicken to check if it’s cooked through.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
A small dinner gathering calls for easy but delicious recipes. Try these too:
- No-Knead Dinner Rolls
- White Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Pear Cobbler
- Triple Berry Sangria
📖 Here’s the recipe
One-Pan Chicken Marsala
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 chicken breast cutlets about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces sliced bella mushrooms
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic Minced
- ½ cup marsala wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken on both sides and set aside.
- Heat the 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken (working in batches if necessary) for 5-6 minutes on both sides until browned and mostly cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Melt the 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat, add the sliced bella mushrooms and saute for 6-8 minutes. Add the diced onion and garlic to the mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the ½ cup of marsala wine and simmer over medium heat until reduced to half.
- Pour in the chicken stock, heavy cream and sprinkle in the thyme. Stir and simmer over medium heat until thickened.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, along with any juices on the plate and simmer until the sauce has reduced to about half.
- Stir in the fresh parsley and serve.
Other mushrooms you can use: Button, Crimini, Portobello, Shiitake, Porcini. Half and half can be used in place of the heavy cream