An easy recipe for the most basic fried rice. Uses inexpensive ingredients you probably have on hand, Can be totally customized to your taste.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- Crowd-pleasing. You haven’t been to the store and you have a house full of picky children. And it’s almost dinner time so a big complicated meal just isn’t in the cards. And another night of boxed Mac and cheese just might destroy your soul. In this situation, a basic fried rice recipe is your hero.
- Customizable. Have cooked chicken or shrimp on hand? Add it right into the rice at the end. Like spicy foods? Add more Sriracha. This recipe can be tweaked however you like. But it’s delicious just the way it is!
- Budget-friendly. One of the most affordable meals you’ll make.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this easy dinner:
- Vegetable oil
- Cooked white rice
- Frozen peas
- Soy sauce
This article contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase after clicking on one, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified purchases.
- Any time of skillet will work, but we love cast iron
Step One: cook the egg
Start with cooking the egg. Make sure you have a tablespoon of oil in your skillet, and heat it before you add the egg. Pour it in and cook for a minute or two, and scramble it. If it cooks too quickly to scramble, just remove it to a plate and chop it up.
Step Two: cook the onion
Now we cook the onion. Add another tablespoon of oil and sauté the diced onion until it’s translucent and browned.
Step three: add everything else
Add the last tablespoon of oil, and then the cooked rice. Keep stirring until the rice is coated in oil.
Now we are adding the flavor! Pour in the soy sauce and stir. Just keep on stirring. Once the soy sauce and rice are well incorporated, add the peas and scrambled egg.
Keep stirring and you’re done!
🥫 Storage instructions
Leftovers will keep well, tightly covered in the fridge, for 3-4 days.
Yes, sure! It’s delicious. You’ll make this recipe exactly the same.
Diced carrots, green peppers, cooked meat, tofu. Just about anything.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
This is easiest if you already have cooked rice. You can cook big quantities of rice, place them in freezer bags, and freeze them. You can always make something with cooked rice for an easy side dish! Or just a little extra white rice every time you cook it and plan on making fried rice in the next couple of days.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
📖 Here’s the recipe
Cast Iron Skillet Fried Rice
- 4 tablespoons of oil divided
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- ¾ cup frozen green peas
- 4 cups cooked rice
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Siracha optional
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and gently stir until scrambled, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from skillet to plate, chop and set aside for later.
- Increase heat to medium high. Heat another tablespoon of oil in the now-empty skillet. Add the onion and stir until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil and the rice. Stir until rice is thoroughly mixed with the other ingredients, about three minutes. Add the soy sauce, frozen peas, and scrambled eggs. Stir fry for 4 minutes, until thoroughly heated and well combined. Serve hot.
- bell pepper can be cooked with the onion
- cooked shrimp or chicken can be added with the peas