Sweet vanilla cupcakes with a hint of coconut, tart lemon curd filling, and the best cream cheese frosting are topped with sweetened coconut.
Are you a natural cook or did it take you awhile to be successful? I was a terrible cook for a long time. But one thing I have always loved to bake were cupcakes. And even in my darkest cooking days, people would ask me to bring these coconut cupcakes with lemon curd filling. They are one of my first victories.
The cupcake part is a great basic recipe you’ll love to have in your recipe box any time you need a vanilla layer cake or cupcake. (Just substitute the coconut extract in the recipe with all vanilla.). You do have to take an extra step of beating the egg white in a separate bowl, but it pays off with a super fluffy and tender cake.
The cream cheese frosting is delicious and not too sweet, and the coconut topping adds extra sweetness and just looks beautiful.
If you’re planning a baby shower, a brunch, Easter dinner, or any other spring gathering, these light and delicious cupcakes will be a hit.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Special tools and ingredients:
- Lemon curd. you can make your own lemon curd or find one at the store. Look for one that’s not too sweet!
- Sweetened flaked or shredded coconut. You can find this in the baking aisle of the grocery store, near the chocolate chips.
- A 2 tablespoon cookie scoop. These makes filling the cupcake tin a breeze.
- A stiff piping bag. You can easily fill these up with lemon curd to fill the cupcakes. (If you don’t want to get one, you can remove a tiny cone from the center of each cupcake with a sharp knife and then spoon lemon curd inside.)
????Frugal Baking Tip
If you are buying the lemon curd, and looking for an affordable brand, I like Lidl’s best. Aldi’s is good too, but not as tart.
Step by step coconut cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350. Like most cake recipes, we being by creaming the butter. It’s important to start with room temperature, slightly softened butter to make this step easier. Then you add the eggs yolks one by one, and the vanilla.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the butter mixture, a cup at a time, alternating with the milk. Try to begin and end with the flour mixture. In another separate bowl, beat the egg white until they form soft peaks.
- Add the egg whites and gently fold into the batter with a spatula until just combined.
- Scoop the cake batter into the cupcake tins. Bake and let them cool completely.
- Pipe lemon curd into the center of each cupcake. You may need to cut one open to see if you are happy with how much filling you are adding.
- Make the cream cheese frosting and gently smooth it onto the cupcakes.
- Pour the shredded coconut onto a plate and roll the frosted cupcakes in the coconut.
More springy, citrusy desserts you’ll love:
- Meringue topped key lime pie never fails!
- If you love lemon, but these seem like too much work, lemon snack cake is easy as can be.
- Try a coconut topped Bundt Cake with lemon icing for a beautiful presentation.
- Orange sugar rolls are another great choice for a spring party.
Here’s the recipe!
Coconut Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling
- 1 cup softened butter 2 sticks
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs separated
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 pint lemon curd
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2 cups tweeted flaked or shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in center. Prepare 2 cupcake trays with paper liners.
- Cream butter in electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the sugar and beat 3-4 minutes more, until fluffy and light in color. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, blending well after each addition and scraping down the sides as needed. Add the vanilla and mix.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate large mixing bowl. Add to the butter/ sugar mixture a cup at a time, with the mixer on low, pouring in the milk slowly after each addition.
- Beat egg whites with a handheld electric mixer in a medium bowl until soft peaks form, mix into cake batter by hand with a rubber spatula until just blended. Spoon cake batter into cupcake tin with a cookie scoop or spoon.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, switching the tins halfway, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack completely before filling and frosting.
- Make the frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla ad mix. Pour powdered sugar in slowly, beating on low.
- Pipe lemon curd into cupcakes or remove a small amount of cake and spoon the lemon curd.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting. and roll the cupcakes into a plate of coconut. Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 1 day.