These soft and chewy cookies are perfect for any spooky celebration! They’re packed with M&Ms in fun seasonal colors and the classic flavor is sure to please everyone.
Table of contents
🎃 Why you’ll love this recipe
- They’re soft and chewy. Crisp edges, soft in the middle, just the way a cookie should be.
- Packed with M&Ms in fun seasonal color. Ghoul Mix is a super fun blend of colors, perfect for Halloween!
- Easy to make. This recipe comes together quickly and easily. You’ll have cookies in no time
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
This article contains affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase after clicking on one, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You’ll need the following for this spooky treat:
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- ghoul mix M&Ms (available in the holiday candy raise starting in late July, or here online)
- baking sheets
- parchment paper
- mixing bowl
- hand mixer or stand mixer
Step One: Make the dough
To make the butter and sugar mixture, use an electric mixer on medium speed to beat them together for about 3-5 minutes. Then add the eggs and vanilla and blend until combined. If necessary, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Add the flour, salt, and baking soda to the butter mixture, mixing on low. One cup at a time. Stir in 1½ cups of the M&Ms by hand.
Step Two: Add more m&ms
Cover the dough and chill it for one hour. Towards the end of the chilling time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Get out two cookie sheets and cover them with parchment paper or cooking spray.
Drop dough balls the size of a tablespoon onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Space them 2 inches apart, as they will spread. Press 3 additional M&Ms on top of the dough balls.
Step three: bake
Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes. Let the cookies cool on a wire rack.
🥫 Storage instructions
- Store in an airtight container: This will help keep the cookies from drying out.
- Don’t store them with other treats: The cookies will absorb the flavors of other items, so it’s best to keep them stored separately.
- For the best flavor and texture, eat the cookies within a few days of baking. But they will still be delicious for up to a week.
- You can freeze fully baked cookies and they’ll still be delicious!
No, but it does make them look nicer. If you do choose to press more M&Ms on top, try to use one of each color for the most festive look.
Chill for at least one hour, up to 24 hours.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Be sure to use softened butter, not melted. This will ensure your cookies are nice and fluffy.
- Start with room temperature eggs.
- Chill the dough before baking. This helps prevent spreading and results in a nice, thick cookie.
📘 Related Recipes
- Apple Cider Cookies are another easy fall cookie
- Love classic chocolate chip? Try soft Amish chocolate chip cookies.
- Adding pretzels and caramel to this dough is a winning combination.
🍽 Serve it with
Having a fun fall party? Try these recipes too:
📖 Here’s the recipe
Soft Halloween M&M Cookies
- ¾ butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ghoul mix M&Ms divided
- Beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and blend until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate mixing bowl and add to the butter mixture, mixing on low, one cup at a time. Stir 1½ cups of the M&Ms in by hand.
- Cover and chill the dough for one hour. Towards the end of the chilling time, preheat the oven to 350 with the rack in the center. Prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- Drop the dough by tablespoon-sized balls onto the parchment-lined baking sheets. Space them 2 inches apart, as the cookies will spread. Press 3 additional M&Ms on top of the dough balls.
- Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes. Cool on wire rack.