A moist loaf loaded with fresh berries and a sweet vanilla glaze. This strawberry quick bread is beautiful, delicious, and cheerful.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- Delicious flavors. The vanilla glaze, a hint of lemon, and white chocolate chips, all in one moist, sweet loaf. Yum.
- Right for so many occasions. Great for brunches, teatime, or any time you want a sweet treat.
- Simple to make. The batter comes together quickly, and you don’t need fancy equipment.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this springtime strawberry loaf:
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- granulated sugar
- vegetable oil
- lemon zest
- white chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
Step One: start the batter
Preheat the oven to 350. Then, get a 8½ x 4½ x 2½ loaf pan and spray it with nonstick spray.
Make the batter. In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt). In a different, large bowl mix together the wet ingredients (buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, egg, and lemon juice). Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until everything is combined. There should be no dry spots left.
Step Two: add strawberries
Pat the chopped strawberries dry. Set aside 2-3 tablespoons of strawberries for the top, and sprinkle them with 1½ tablespoons of flour, gently mixing . Add the main portion of strawberries into the batter, along with the white chocolate chips, and gently fold in. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Press the floured strawberries on top.
Bake the loaf for 55-60 minutes. After 40 minutes, put aluminum foil on top so it won’t get too brown. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before turning it onto a cooling rack . Let the loaf cool to room temperature before adding the glaze.
Step three: glaze and serve!
In a medium bowl, add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to ¾ cup of powdered sugar. Mix with an electric hand mixer and slowly add up to 2 Tablespoons of milk. If the mixture is too thin, add more powdered sugar. It should be very thick before you put it on the loaf of bread. You can either spoon it on or put it in a piping bag and then squeeze it back and forth over the bread.
🥫 Storage instructions
Store your bread covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days if unglazed. If it is glazed, the sugar will start to incorporate into the bread, so a max of two days is best.
You can make it ahead and freeze and then glaze after thawing.
It’s just to make the loaf pretty! Trust me, it makes a difference!
Yes, you can substitute the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free baking mix like Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour.
Yes, you can absolutely skip the glaze if desired. The bread will still be delicious and moist without it. You can even dust the top with some powdered sugar for a sweet presentation.
No, feel free to substitute the white chocolate chips for another type of baking chip such as semi-sweet or dark chocolate. You can also leave them out completely if you prefer.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Be sure to pat the strawberries dry after chopping them. Too much moisture with keep the loaf from baking through.
- Don’t overmix the batter, stir until just combined.
- Allow the loaf to cool completely before glazing. If you add the glaze too early, it will melt and run off.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
Having a breakfast get-together? Try these recipes too:
- Slow-cooker cheesy hash browns are hearty and delicious.
- A fan-favorite cast iron skillet omelet is ready fast, and everyone loves it.
- Serve fresh fruit and coffee, and you’re done!
📖 Here’s the recipe
Glazed Strawberry Quick Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature, see notes for substitutions
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest from 1 lemon
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips optional
- 2 cups strawberries, divided roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Prep. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 8½ x 4½ x 2½ loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Make the batter. Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking, soda, and salt) in a medium bowl. Combine the wet ingredients (buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla, egg, and lemon juice) in a separate, large bowl. Add the dry ingredients into the wet until fully combined, with no dry spots.
- Prep and add the berries. Pat dry the chopped strawberries. Set aside 2-3 tablespoons of strawberries for the top, and sprinkle them with 1½ tablespoons of flour, gently mixing . Add the main portion of strawberries into the batter, along with the white chocolate chips, and gently fold in. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Press the floured strawberries on top.
- Bake. Bake the loaf for 55-60 minutes. After 40 minutes, cover with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before gently turning out onto a cooling rack . Let the loaf cool to room temperature before glazing.
- Make the glaze. In a medium bowl, add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to ¾ cup of powdered sugar. Mix with an electric hand mixer and slowly add up to 2 Tablespoons of milk to desired consistency. Add additional powdered sugar if the consistency is too thin. (It should be very thick, too thick to pour, or it wlll run off the loaf.) Either spoon on top of the loaf or add to a piping bag and drizzle back and forth on top.
9 thoughts on “Glazed Strawberry Quick Bread”
Sounds amazing! I don’t have potato flakes, any substitute?
I’ve never done it without, but try to add a tablespoon of butter to keep the dough moist, or just leave it out.
I am so going to make this!! I’ll have to dust off the bread machine first!
I seriously am making this tonight for tomorrow morning! It looks so yummy!!
Yay! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!
This recipe sounds incredible! With our fresh picked strawberries and strawberry jam this recipe will be amazing. Thanks so much for sharing!
lucky you to have such a great supply of berries! I hope you try it and let me know how it goes!
This sounds yummy!
It is the easiest bread known to man!