A recipe for from-scratch blackberry lemonade that uses a simple syrup method for a refreshing country drink.
This blackberry lemonade is the perfect summer drink to enjoy on a shady porch or at a casual summer get together. It seems fancy and special but it mixes up in just a few minutes. The best lemonade is made with a simple syrups where the sugar and water are briefly cooked. With this method, there are no sugar crystals to worry about mixing in and not dissolving. And since we are already doing it, why not add blackberries as well?
Don’t be afraid to mix it up a little with this recipe: use raspberries and blueberries as well, add. lime juice, mix the finished lemonade with some iced tea. It is forgiving and flexible.
- 1 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best!)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup blackberries
- 3 1/2 cups water (divided!)
- ice, blackberries, mint, lemon for serving
Blackberries are abundant and very inexpensive when they are in season. Look for them at farmer’s markets or grow your own. If you want to make this out of season, frozen berries are a better choice!
Let’s make it step by step
Make the blackberry sugar syrup
Let’s begin by making the blackberry syrup. All we need are the berries, the sugar, and 1/2 cup of water. Put them in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. It will turn bright pink and beautiful! Let it simmer for about 5 minutes until the berries have mostly broken down.
Place a strainer over a small bowl and pour the syrup on top. Use a spoon to help press the syrup through until all that’s left is the berries. There’s no flavor left in them, go ahead and give them to the birds.
Cover the syrup and place in the fridge for an hour or so.
Mix the in the water and lemon juice
We are almost done! Just mix the syrup with the fresh lemon juice and 3 cups of cold water. A half gallon mason jar will hold this recipe just fine. You can chill it again in the fridge, or simply serve over ice right away.
If you’d like, add fresh mint, blackberries, and/ or lemon slices.
Looking for more summer berry treats?
- Blackberry Bundt Cake is one of our favorite blackberry creations.
- Blackberry Raspberry Pie is another recipe for those of who love sweet-tart treats.
- And for breakfast, try triple berry coffee cake with a delicious streusel topping.
Print the recipe here!
- 1 cup blackberries frozen is fine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water for the syrup
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups water for mixing
- Heat the berries, sugar, and 1'2 cup of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and heat for 5 minutes until berries break down and a syrup is formed.
- Place a strainer over a bowl and strain the syrup through a mesh strainer, pressing down to get as much of the syrup as possible. Cover the berry syrup and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Combine the berry syrup, lemon juice, and 3 cups of water in a pitcher and chill. Serve over ice
Hope you enjoy this summer drink!