Tender apple filling with plenty of fall spices, topped with a brown sugar crumb topping and baked to perfection.
Brown Sugar Apple Pie Recipe
- Pie plate
- Food processor or pastry blender
- 1 whole pie crust
- 6 cups apples peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup butter 1½ sticks
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup quick oats
- Prepare oven and crust. Preheat the oven to 375 and prepare a pie plate by lining it with a single pie crust. Line a spare baking sheet with aluminum foil and place it on the lower rack to catch drips. Line pie dish with one pie crust.
- Make the apple filling. Combine the apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Make the crumb topping. Cut the flour into the butter using a pastry blender or two knives. Add the brown sugar, and oats. Stir gently to combine.
- Assemble the pie. Add apples to pie plate lined with pie crust. Press crumb topping on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes. If the crust on the edges over-brown, cover it with an aluminum foil shield. Allow the pie to cool at least one hour before serving.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is simple, delicious, and a fall favorite. A classic apple pie with brown sugar and cinnamon filling topped with brown sugar and oatmeal crust.
- A great option to take to a holiday event or even to serve as a delicious dessert for your family.
- Simple to prepare. Throw it together with just a few ingredients, bake it, and enjoy it with the ones you love this season.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this classic fall dessert:
- Apples: You’ll want to make sure your apples are cored, peeled, and sliced. I like to slice mine about 1/4 inch thick. This size makes for a perfect bite.
- Pie Crust: because this recipe has a crumb topping, you only need one pie crust. You can either make it yourself or pick on up from the store.
- Salt: Because all baked goods need a little salt!
- Quick Oats: oats add a nice crunchy granola kind of texture to the topping
- Lemon Juice: to help preserve the apples
- Brown Sugar: This wouldn’t be Apple Pie with Brown Sugar without the brown sugar. It makes for a more caramelized filling and beautiful topping
- Butter: this is for the crumb topping and you can use either salted or unsalted.
- Flour: to help thicken the pie filling
Step One: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a pie crust with one single layer of dough, and place it on a lower rack inside preheated dish for the baking sheet below it so that it catches any drips during the cooking process
Step Two: make the filling
In a large mixing bowl combine apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, and allspice. Mix well. You don’t want the spiced apples to sit out and become overly juicy, or you’ll have a soggy bottom crust. So keep on moving!
Step three: make the crumb topping
For the crumb topping, cut flour into butter using a pastry blender or two knives. Add brown sugar and oats and mix it until you have an even mixture.
Place apples in pie crust and spread with crumb mixture. Top off the filling, pressing gently to make an even layer on top of each slice.
Step FouR: Bake
🥫 Storage instructions
This pie can be covered loosely with foil or plastic wrap and stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 2-4 days.
If your pie cracks while baking, it is likely due to the filling shrinking as it bakes. To prevent this from happening, you can try one of two things:
1) Use a metal pie pan. Glass or ceramic pans are more likely to cause shrinkage.
2) Pre-bake the crust for 10 minutes before adding the filling. This will help to set the shape of the crust and prevent it from shrinking as much.
Well, sure! It’s a simple 1:1 substitution for some or all of the sugar in the recipe.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Serving: This pie is delicious served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel topping.
- Crust: Feel free to make your own crust, or if you are in a pinch for time you can grab a premade crust from the store.
- Cooling: Be sure to let this pie cool for at least a few hours before serving. If you can make it the day before and let it chill overnight, that would be best!
- Spices: If you don’t like allspice or cloves, feel free to leave them out
- Apples: Granny smith apples are our favorite pie apple, but anything that holds its shape when baked is a good choice. Red Rome, Winesap, and Jonagold are delicious choices.
📘 Related Recipes
- Cinnamon Sugar Peach Apple Pie
- Caramel Apple Cobbler
- Old Fashioned Spice Cake with Caramel Frosting
- Festive Christmas Bundt Cakes
- Chocolate Covered Shortbread Cookies
🍽 Serve it witH
With just a few ingredients and 50 minutes in the oven, you can create this brown sugar apple pie. I think you’ll agree the best part is the oatmeal brown sugar crust. If you choose a pre-made crust, you’ll be able to make an easy dessert for family dinner or Thanksgiving without spending hours in the kitchen. Enjoy!