This recipe for Brussels sprouts with bacon and cream will convert even the vegetable haters in your family.
See it step by step:
- Start with just the bacon and cook until just crisp. You can dice it before cooking, or cook whole strips and then crumble them. Then remove the bacon
- Turn up the heat until just barely smoking. You want the skillet very hot so that the Brussels sprouts are browning, not steaming.
- Add the chicken broth and cover to soften the vegetables. It will take about 4 minutes. You want to check the tenderness periodically by stabbing with a fork.
- Add the cream and let it cook down. Remove from the heat and crumble to bacon on top.
Print it here
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cream
Caramelized Brussels sprouts, salty bacon, and rich cream make up an easy and delicious side dish perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.Click here to grab a free mini-cookbook with my best seasonal recipes
- 4 slices of bacon diced
- 1 lb brussels sprouts trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a heavy skillet until crisp. Remove to paper towel lined plate, leaving half of the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and cook the Brussels sprouts until browned and caramelized. Do not stir too much. Allow the sprouts to brown, then flip. Cook about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the chicken broth, turn down the heat to medium low, and cover and cook until fork-tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the lid and add the cream, stirring until the cream cooks off. The vegetables should not look "creamy".
- Remove from the heat and add in the cooked, crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.
You can double this recipe easily, it will still fit in a 10 inch skillet. Best served immediately, but can be refrigerated and re-heated.
Calories: 55kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 238mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 537IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg
Servings: 8 pound Brussel sprouts
Did you make this recipe?Tag me @heartscontentfarmhouse so I can see!