This recipe for crispy, delicious Brussels sprouts will convert even the vegetable haters in your family.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
Brussels sprouts are veggies that are delicious when done well but terrible when done poorly. Lucky for you, this recipe is easy and delicious! You’ll get caramelized vegetables flavored with bacon and cream.
Cast iron brussels sprouts are the perfect side dish for your next meal. The cast-iron skillet helps you achieve crispy, browned vegetables while cooking them through at the same time.
One-pan prep– You’ll brown and cook the bacon and vegetables all in your trusty skillet, making cleanup easy
Caramelized veggies – Cast iron perfectly browns your Brussels sprouts for great flavor with no bitter tast
Filling and delicious – Brussels sprouts are in-season during the late fall and winter, and this hearty recipe is perfect for colder months.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
- bacon: it’s essential for flavor and browning
- brussels sprouts:
- chicken broth: you can substitute water in a pinch
- heavy cream: only heavy cream will do
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- a 12 inch ast-iron skillet! There’s nothing like it for beautifully caramelizing your sprouts
- a spatula or tongs for flipping
Step One: Prep the veggies
First, prepare the brussels sprouts by removing the outer leaves and cutting in half (or thirds if they are very large.)
Step Two: Cook the bacon
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove the cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving half of the fat in the pan.
Brown the Brussels sprouts. Turn up your heat to medium-high and cook them in a single layer, cut side down, until they’re caramelized, then flip over for 3 minutes on each side. If you stir too much, they won’t brown as well.
Add some chicken broth and turn down your heat to medium-low. Cover for 4 minutes until they’re fork-tender before removing the lid. Add the cream and keep stirring until the liquid reduces. There should not be puddles of cream left in the skillet.
Step three: Add the liquids
Add the bacon and serve!
🥫 Storage instructions
Leftover brussels sprouts will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to four days.
This recipe does not freeze well.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Adjust the heat! You want to cook at a high temperature to get your sprouts nicely browned but not so high that you burn them.
- Don’t skip seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Don’t stir too much, or you won’t get a good sear on your Brussels sprouts.
- Make sure you’re using a well-seasoned skillet to avoid sticking
🍽 Serve it with:
📘 Related Recipes
- Skillet fried rice is easy to make and can be a dinner or a lunch
- Home fries in a cast-iron skillet are another yummy crispy dish
- Baked beans are perfect in there too
Yes! Any heavy-bottomed skillet will work fine.
Fall, winter, and early spring. But you can find them in the grocery store any time.
📖 Here’s the recipe
Cast Iron Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cream
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 pound brussels sprouts trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon. Cook the bacon in a heavy skillet until crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving half of the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Brown the Brussels sprouts. Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook the Brussels sprouts until browned and caramelized. Do not stir. Allow the sprouts to brown, then flip. Cook about 3 minutes per side.
- Cook the sprouts. Add the chicken broth, turn down the heat to medium-low, and cover and cook until fork-tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the lid and add the cream, stirring until the cream cooks off. The vegetables should not look "creamy".
- Serve. Remove from the heat and add in the cooked, crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.
This recipe will become one of your go-to dishes for any occasion! You’ll get caramelized vegetables flavored with bacon and cream that are sure to please everyone’s palate.