The best method for cooking a simple but delicious chicken breast in your trusty cast-iron skillet. One pan, no fuss. Just moist, golden-brown chicken with plenty of flavor.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- The chicken is juicy and tender with a golden brown exterior
- It’s simple and easy to make: You only need one pan (plus a bowl for the marinade)
- It’s so versatile. Add this to salads, make a sandwich with some veggies on top, or add to nachos or pizza.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this simple chicken recipe:
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- brown sugar
- vegetable oil
- fresh parsley
- chicken breasts
- cast iron skillet
- small bowl
- zip-top bag
Step One: Make the marinade
Pound the chicken flat so it will cook evenly. Place in a zipper-closure bag or a loaf pan.
Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a small mixing dish and add to raw chicken. Marinate at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
Step Two: Sear the Exterior
Heat the empty skill over medium heat, then add the tablespoon of vegetable oil. Brown the chicken for 3 minutes per side, until it is deep golden brown.
Step three: Cook on low Until done
Reduce the temperature and cook until the chicken is tender and cooked through (3-4 more minutes per side).
🥫 Storage instructions
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze them for up to 2 months.
Yes of course, but you’ll need to defrost them first.
I prefer vegetable oil since it doesn’t smoke at high temperatures as much as olive oil does. But if you prefer the flavor of olive oil (or any other oil!), that will work just fine.
Some of my favorite sides are roasted potatoes, a simple salad, or some sautéed vegetables. But really, the possibilities are endless. It’s one of the simplest dishes in the world.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Don’t mess with the chicken while it’s browning. Let it cook undisturbed so you get a nice sear.
- Check the internal temperature of your chicken to make sure it has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- This recipe reheats well, so feel free to make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for later.
📘 Related Recipes
- If you have two cast iron skillets, make your side dish in the smaller one! Try my favorite green beans with bacon.
- Try this skillet baked omelet with potatoes, peppers, and plenty of cheddar.
- Make a batch of brioche burger buns in the morning and make a sandwich with you. chicken breast, sliced avocado, and some Cajun ranch.
📖 Here’s the recipe
Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast
For the marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
For cooking and serving
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 4 8 ounce chicken breasts
- Pound chicken breast thin for even cooking. Place in zipper storage bag or small loaf pan
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and pour over raw chicken. Marinate at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook 3 min per side, until the chicken is deep golden brown. Turn the heat to low and cook until cooked through (3-4 more minutes per side).
- Remove to a plate and serve whole or sliced.