Looking for an easy and delicious casserole recipe? This one is perfect for any night of the week. It’s flavorful and simple to make, with a crispy golden brown topping.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s easy to make. One pot for the chili and then a super-simple assembly.
- The whole family will love it. Really, really, REALLY. Even my pickiest kids love this!
- It’s a great budget-friendly option. You can get all of the ingredients for this chili cheese hashbrown casserole at a great price, making it a really affordable meal.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy weeknight casserole:
- olive oil
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- ground cumin
- ground beef
- canned diced tomatoes
- canned red kidney beans or black beans
- frozen shredded hashbrowns
- shredded cheddar cheese
Step One: make the chili
Preheat oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the center.
Make the chili. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and spices and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the tomato paste and stir until it is absorbed. Add the meat, breaking it up as it cooks. Add the beans and tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes uncovered.
Step Two: assemble
Pour the chili into the casserole dish. Sprinkle potatoes on top and season them with salt. Add cheese on top of the potatoes.
Step three: bake
Bake the chili for 30-40 minutes until it is bubbling. If you want a browned top, broil it on low or for 5 minutes. Serve it right away.
🥫 Storage instructions
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days or freeze them for up to two months.
When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it out in the fridge and reheat in the oven. Enjoy!
Yes, you can make the chili up to three days in advance and store it in the fridge, or assemble the entire thing and refrigerate for a day or two. You can also freeze the assembled casserole for two months, then thaw and reheat when you’re ready to eat.
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different types of beans, tomatoes, and spices to find the perfect combination for your taste preferences.
Yes, you can use a set of small ramekins for baking smaller portions of this chili cheese hashbrown casserole. Just reduce the baking time!
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Be sure to cook the chili long enough for it to thicken up. It should not be thin, like soup.
- If you want a spicier chili, add extra cayenne or another kind of hot pepper in step 2.
- To get a browned top on your casserole, broil it on low for just a few minutes. Keep an eye on it!
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
Don’t make life too hard. You’ll love these easy, from-scratch sides:
- No-knead dinner rolls are made the night before, with hardly any hands-on time.
- Everyone loves Amish broccoli salad, and it adds something fresh and green to your table.
- A delicious pear cobbler is the perfect cozy dessert.
📖 Here’s the recipe
Chili Cheese Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 casserole dish 9 x 13 or slightlly smaller
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans or black beans rinsed
- 1 pound frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the center.
- Make the chili. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and spices and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the tomato paste and stir until it is absorbed. Add the meat, breaking it up as it cooks. Add the beans and tomatoes. Simmer uncovered for fifteen minutes.
- Assemble the casserole. Pour the chili into the casserole dish. Sprinkle potatoes on top and season them with salt. Sprinkle cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Bake. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the chili is bubbling. If you prefer a browned top, broil on low or five minutes. Serve immediately.