An easy-to-make side dish perfect for potlucks. Just mix it up, let it chill, and serve! Everyone will ask you for this recipe.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- Super delicious! Even if the ingredients seem like a weird combination, this is a side dish that’s guaranteed to disappear at your next party.
- Easy. The best part about it? This recipe doesn’t require you to blanch the broccoli. You’ll find that simply mixing up the dressing with raw broccoli ahead of time softens it just fine. Why make life hard, right?
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this delicious salad recipe:
- apple cider vinegar
- broccoli cauliflower
- red onion diced
- sharp cheddar
- paper towels
- small mixing bowl
- large mixing bowl
Step One: Cook the bacon
The most time-consuming part is cooking the bacon. We will do that first and set it aside. We want it to be crispy enough that can crumble it later.
The next step is to make the dressing. You might as well make it in a big bowl to serve the broccoli salad right out of it. Mix the mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar, then add the chopped onion and raisins.
Step three: Add the veggies and chill
Next, add the raw broccoli and cauliflower and stir everything well. Pop it in the fridge for 2-5 hours, so the flavors combine and the veggies soften slightly.
Step FouR: Add the Toppings
Right before serving, add the bacon and cheddar and mix it up.
🥫 Storage instructions
Store the salad in an airtight container in the fridge. It will become overly soft after a day or so, so try to enjoy it as soon as possible.
Besides raisins and cheddar, try adding sunflower hearts, dried cranberries, or toasted slivered almonds. If you want to add more veggies, try shredded carrots, chopped celery, or diced red bell peppers.
Yes, this recipe can easily be doubled. Just keep in mind that you’ll need to use a larger bowl to mix everything together.
No, you can certainly use another type of dressing. Greek yogurt or sour cream would work well in this salad. But we’ve tried them all and prefer mayonnaise.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Be sure to give yourself enough time. Broccoli salad can take a little longer to prepare than other salads, since the raw veggies must chill to soften.
- Use full-fat mayonnaise!
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
- Cast Iron Baked Beans
- Pulled Pork sandwiches
- Hot dogs and burgers
📖 Here’s the recipe
Amish Broccoli Salad (Easy Recipe!)
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups broccoli raw, florets only
- 3 cups cauliflower
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Cook the bacon in a skillet on medium-low heat until crisp. Set aside on paper towel-lined plate to drain. When the bacon is cool, crumble and refrigerate.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing (mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar) in a large mixing bowl or serving bowl. Add the raisins, red onion, broccoli, and cauliflower. Stir well to combine. Cover and place in fridge for at least 2 hours, up to 6.
- Mix in the crumbled bacon and cheddar before serving.
Enjoy this simple, easy recipe!