A delicious and super soft dinner roll brushed with garlic butter and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. A huge crowd pleaser!
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
An absolute family favorite recipe. The summer after my third baby was born, my niece came to stay with us for a few months and help with the older kids. I loved having her with us, but a fifth picky eater in the house made dinner time even more complicated. Her favorite thing was bread of all kinds, and this one was her absolute favorite. The recipe makes two dozen and we would polish them off easily. A dozen with dinner, and the next dozen nibbled on throughout the day.
Delicious summer treat. In a way, this recipe was the hero of our summer. Anytime we were bored we would pull out the bread machine and she would start the dough. I think she was glad to go home at the end of her months here, but I know she missed these rolls.
Perfect treat at every time of day. I don’t make them as often as I did that summer, but they are always welcome at the dinner table. I hope you will give them a try and make them a part of your bread baking rotation as well.
These rolls are more than just a flavorful topping… the base roll recipe is one of the best out there. It might seem like a lot of butter and sugar, but they don’t taste sweet, just soft and impossibly fluffy. The powdered milk helps them rise as high as possible. I always knead and rise the dough in my bread machine then remove it to shape and do the final rise.
If you have family members who don’t like garlic, you could leave one pan of the rolls without the garlic and just brush them with plain butter before baking. They have plenty of flavors to stand on their own as a plain roll.
(Do you want a sandwich roll with a crisp crust? Try this recipe!)
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for these garlic parmesan dinner rolls:
- powdered milk
- instant yeast
- all purpose flour
- salt and sugar
- parmesan cheese
This article contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase after clicking on one, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified purchases.
- bread machine
- parchment paper
- plastic wrap
Step One: lay out ingredients
Lay out ingredients and allow butter to come to room temperature.
Step Two: knead the dough by hand or by machine
Knead by hand, stand mixer, or bread machine until smooth. (I highly recommend a basic bread machine just for kneading and rising. This is the model I have and love.)
Step three: allow the dough to rise and divide into 24 equal pieces
Allow to rise either in a bread machine or clean bowl, until puffy and doubled in bulk
Divide into 24 equal pieces and shape into rolls
Drizzle on melted butter with garlic clove and sprinkle on parmesan cheese
Step Four: bake until golden brown
Allow to rise for 1 hour, and bake until golden brown.
🥫 Storage instructions
Garlic Parmesan Dinner Rolls can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. They do not freeze well.
Yes, you can make these ahead of time. Just follow the instructions until step 3, then refrigerate the dough overnight. The next day, let the dough come to room temperature and continue with the instructions.
Yes, you can use bread flour instead of all purpose flour
The best way to reheat these Garlic Parmesan dinner rolls is in the oven at 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Ensure that all ingredients are at room temperature before beginning
- Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size
- Be sure to use a light hand when brushing the rolls with the garlic butter, you don’t want them to be too greasy.
- Feel free to adjust the quantities of garlic and Parmesan cheese to your liking.
📘 Related Recipes
- If you have super picky eaters, here is our favorite recipe for plain, soft dinner rolls. (Also great for Christmas or Thanksgiving!)
- Looking for more of a crisp roll? Sourdough dinner rolls are one of my most popular recipes.
- And honey wheat rolls are a little different, but still soft and delicious.
🍽 Serve it with
📖 here’s the recipe
Garlic Parmesan Dinner Rolls: Super Soft and From Scratch
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons softened butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant yeast SAF brand is best
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or bread machine bucket and knead by hand, stand mixer, or bread machine until smooth.
- Allow to rise, covered, in a warm place for 60 minutes until doubled in bulk.
- Turn out of bowl or bread machine and divide into 24 equal pieces. You can use a scale to be exact. Shape each piece into a round roll by pinching the bottom of your piece of dough. This will smooth out the top. Arrange in two round pie plates or other shallow baking dishes.
- Combine melted butter and crushed garlic clove and brush on top of rolls. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and allow to rise until puffy, about 45 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375 degrees with the rack in the center.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Remove and place the pie plate on the cooling rack. They can be served directly out of the pan or removed and placed on a serving dish.