Cozy up this autumn with a mug of something sweet and warm. This easy recipe is perfect for gatherings or a relaxing night in.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- So easy. Just dump everything in the crockpot and let it do its thing!
- Great for parties. It’s perfect for entertaining because you can make a big batch and keep it warm all night.
- Absolutely delicious. The combination of apple cider, oranges, apples, cinnamon, and star anise is impossible to resist. And whipped cream caramel makes it even better.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this warming drink:
- apple cider
- fresh apples
- cinnamon sticks
- brown sugar
- star anise
- spiced rum (really any dark liquor will do. Try cinnamon whiskey, any dark rum, or brandy)
- whipped cream
- caramel topping
- just a crockpot!
Step One: add all ingredients
Put the cider, sugar, fruit, spices, and liquor in the slow cooker. Stir it all together and cover it.
Step Two: cook on low
Cook on low heat for 2-3 hours.
Step three: serve
Pour into a mug and add whipped cream and caramel. Serve warm.
🥫 Storage instructions
You can store any leftovers in the fridge (I like to use a quart-sized mason jar.). It will stay fresh for about 3 days.
Just reheat on the stove over low heat or in the microwave. Add a little splash of rum (or not) before serving.
Absolutely. Just simmer on low for about 30 minutes.
No, you can absolutely make this without any liquor. It will still be delicious!
It really doesn’t matter. You’re starting with pre-made apple cider so it’s no big deal.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Make sure to use whole spices. Ground cinnamon will leave your drink gritty. Better to just leave it out if you can’t find what you need.
- If you want to get the pretty star pattern in the apples, slice them through their “equator”.
- Thin slices of apple and orange will float in the crockpot, which looks very nice.
📘 Related Recipes
If you’re in the cider mood, try these too:
🍽 Serve it with
Having a fall gathering? Here are some more delicious ideas:
- Everyone loves barbecue chicken
- Red potato salad is a perfect side
- Try skillet mac and cheese
- Make a big batch of baked beans too
- And serve a great fall dessert like caramel apple cobbler.
📖 Here’s the recipe
Spiked Slow Cooker Apple Cider
- Slow cooker
- ½ gallon apple cider
- 2 oranges sliced thin
- 2 apples sliced into thin rounds horizonally
- 2 cinnamon sticks plus additional for garnish
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 4 star anise
- 1½ cups spiced rum or other liquor of your choice
- whipped cream optional, for serving
- caramel topping optional, for serving
- Place the cider, sugar, fruit, spices, and liquor in the slow cooker. Stir well and cover.
- Cook on low heat for 2-3 hours.
- Ladle into a warm mug and top with whipped cream and caramel.