Looking for a crowd-pleasing dessert that’s low-effort but impressive? This chocolate ice cream pie is just the thing.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s incredibly easy to make, perfect for kitchen beginners or anyone who doesn’t feel like making a dessert that’s a big production.
- It’s a surefire crowd-pleaser everyone will be asking for seconds, even kids.
- Perfect for hot summer days – a great way to cool down, and it’s no bake.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this cool and creamy treat:
- Chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies
- Melted butter
- Prepared chocolate ice cream
- Frozen whipped topping
- Chocolate shavings for garnish
Step One: make crust
Start off by crushing the chocolate cookies and mix them with the melted butter. This will be your pie crust. Press it down gently into a 9-inch pie plate.
Step Two: make the ice cream layer
Give the chocolate ice cream a little bit of time to soften, let’s say about 15 minutes at room temperature. Stir it up with half of the whipped topping and press it into your pie crust. Be gentle with your spatula, and once done, let it chill in the freezer for a minimum of 4 hours.
Step three: assemble
For the final touch, spread the remaining whipped topping on top of your pie.
Step Four: chill and add chocolate shavings
Put it back into the freezer for at least an hour to firm up the topping. Just before you serve it, shave some chocolate on top for a beautiful garnish.
🥫 Storage instructions
Wrap your chocolate ice cream pie tightly with cling wrap or aluminum foil. It will do just fine in the freezer for a week. Always remember to keep it as airtight as possible to prevent freezer burn.
Absolutely, feel free to experiment! Just make sure the flavors complement the chocolate cookies and toppings (like in this Candy Cane Ice Cream Pie!). Or for a totally different version, make Strawberry Ice Cream Pie
Definitely! This is a great make-ahead dessert. Ensure it’s kept in the freezer until you’re ready to serve.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Make sure your cookies are well crushed to create an even pie crust.
- Don’t forget to let your ice cream soften a bit before you mix it, it makes the process a lot easier.
- Before you serve, let the pie sit out at room temperature for a few minutes for easier slicing.
📘 more cold summer desserts you’ll love
- Homemade Berry Swirl Ice Cream
- Key Lime Pie with Meringue Topping
- Condensed Milk Lemon Pi
📖 Here’s the recipe
Chocolate Ice Cream Pie
- Pie plate
- 18 chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies crushed
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 pint prepared chocolate ice cream
- 12 ounce frozen whipped topping divided
- chocolate shavings for garnish
- Assemble the pie crust. Combine the cookies and melted butter, gently press into a 9-inch pie plate
- Fill the pie. Let the ice cream soften for 15 minutes at room temperature. Combine with half of the whipped topping, Press into the crust using a spatula. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Top with whipped topping and chocolate Gently spread the remaining whipped topping onto the top of the pie. Return to the freezer at least 1 hour before serving to set the whipped topping. Shave chocolate using a vegetable peeler or butter knife on top before serving.