Do you love classic, creamy macaroni salad? Then you’re going to love this recipe. It’s slightly updated for modern tastes but still the old-fashioned side dish everyone loves.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s a classic! This creamy macaroni salad is mayo-based with a touch of sugar, salt, and black pepper. It’s perfect for a summer potluck or cookout.
- There are plenty of veggies included. Peas, onions, and peppers add flavor and color.
- It’s easy to make. The dressing has just a few ingredients, and the whole thing mixes up in just a few minutes.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy, make-ahead side dish:
- black pepper
- ground mustard
- elbow pasta, slightly undercooked
- frozen peas
- diced red bell pepper
- diced red onion
This article contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase after clicking on one, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified purchases.
- A large spoon or spatula
- Mixing bowl
Step One: Make the dressing
In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sugar, salt, black pepper, and ground mustard.
Step Two: Add the pasta and veggies
Cook the pasta and rinse it under cool water. Then put it in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the top of the pasta. Add the veggies and mix everything together well.
Step three: Chill
Let the macaroni cool for at least 2 hours. Serve cold.
🥫 Storage instructions
The macaroni salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
This recipe does not freeze well.
I do not personally like it, but you can. Leave out the sugar.
Nope! Just add them frozen.
Yes, you can. Any short cut pasta will do. Ditalini is a good choice too!
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Cook the pasta to be slightly undercooked. It will keep softening in the fridge.
- You don’t need to let this sit overnight. I like to serve it just a few hours after mixing it up.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
Having a summer get-together? Make these recipes too:
- Fresh Blackberry Lemonade
- Red, Hot, and Blue Potato Salad
- Cajun Chicken Tenders
- Deep Fried Snickers
- Pink Lemonade Cake
📖 Here’s the recipe
Grandma’s Macaroni Salad
- Large mixing bowl
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 ounces elbow pasta (half. a box) slightly undercooked
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup diced fresh celery
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced red onion
- Make the dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, salt, black pepper, and ground mustard in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the pasta and veggies. Place the cooked, cooled pasta in a large mixing bowl and pour the. Dressing on top. Add the veggies and stir well.
- Let the macaroni chill for at least 2 hours. Serve cold.