Everyone loves the sweet and soft Hawaiian rolls you can buy at the grocery store. But it’s so simple to make these at home! This Hawaiian bread recipe for the bread machine is perfect when you are craving something just a little bit different from the usual.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s simple to make at home. If you’ve made any type of bread before (or even if you haven’t!), you can do this.
- You’ll love the taste of this bread – it’s perfect for sandwiches or just to snack on. Plus, it’s easy to freeze, so you can always have some on hand.
- This recipe is not overly sweet. It’s sweeter than the average bread and perfect for french toast, but still a great bread for sandwiches.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this soft and sweet bread recipe:
- instant potato flakes
- pineapple juice
- all-purpose flour
- instant yeast
- 8.5 x 2.5 x 4.x5 loaf pan
- pastry brush
- stand mixer
Step One: knead
Combine all the ingredients in a bread machine, stand mixer, or large bowl. Mix for a few minutes and check to make sure that the dough is not too dry or too wet. It should be soft and smooth but still clear the sides of the bowl.
Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. (If you are using a bread machine, just select the “dough” cycle and skip to step 4).
Step Two: the first rise
Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a clean, lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with greased plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and let the dough rise in a warm place until it doubles in size.
Step three: shape
Take the dough out of the bowl and put it on a counter or cutting board. To make a sandwich loaf, make it into a rectangle that is the same width as the long side of your loaf pan. Fold it in thirds, with the seams pressing together. Tuck the ends under and flip it over so that the seam is on the bottom. Put it in a greased loaf pan.
Step Four: the second rise
Spray the plastic wrap. Then, put the dough in a warm place so that it can rise. The dough should be 1 1/2 inches above the top of the loaf pan when it is done rising. After the dough has finished rising, brush it with beaten egg white and then preheat the oven to 350 degrees with a rack in the center.
Step Five: bake
Bake the loaf for 35-45 minutes, until it is a very golden brown color. Make sure the internal temperature is at 195-200 degrees. Let it cool on a wire rack before slicing it when it is completely cool.
🥫 Storage instructions
If you wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil, the bread will stay fresh for a few days.
You can also freeze it for longer storage. Just make sure that it is completely cooled before wrapping. It will freeze well as a whole loaf or already sliced.
Well, a few things contribute to soft bread. In my experience, powdered milk, potato flakes, and an egg are some of the best ingredients for a soft and fluffy loaf.
Brioche has more fat and a lot of eggs.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- The top will look very brown because of the egg wash and all the sugar in this recipe. You may want to check the internal temperature with a thermometer to ensure it is thoroughly baked. It should be between 195 and 200 degrees.
- I typically double this recipe and make one batch of rolls and one sandwich loaf. To shape buns, I simply pinch the bottoms of a ball of dough until the top looks nice and smooth.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
📖 Here’s the recipe
Sweet Hawaiian Sandwich Bread Recipe
- ¼ cup instant potato flakes
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 egg for brushing the top off the loaf
- Mix. Combine all ingredients in bread machine, stand mixer, or large bowl. Mix for a few minutes and check to make sure that dough is not too dry or too wet. It should be soft and smooth but still clear the sides of the bowl.
- Knead. Knead for at least 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. (If using bread machine, simply select the "dough" cycle and skip to step 4).
- First rise. Shape dough into a ball and place in a clean, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with greased plastic wrap or damp tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Shape. Remove dough from bowl and place on counter or cutting board. To shape into a sandwich loaf, form into ra ectangle that is the width size as the long side of your loaf pan. Fold into thirds, pinching the seams. Tuck the ends under and flip the loaf over so the seam is on the bottom. Place into a greased loaf pan.
- Second rise. Cover the dough with greased plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise. The dough should rise 1 1/2 inches over the top of the loaf pan. Brush with beaten egg white. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees with a rack in the center.
- Bake. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the loaf is very golden brown and internal temperature is 195-200 degrees. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Slice when completely cool.