This recipe for sourdough chocolate chip muffins is easy to whip up for a special snack or breakfast. A great way to use up a sourdough discard.
Table of contents
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for these chocolate chip sourdough muffins:
- all purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- vegetable oil can substitute for melted butter
- discard sourdough starter
- chocolate chips
- sparkling sugar for topping
This article contains affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase after clicking on one, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- muffin tin
- paper liners
Step One: making and scooping the batter
This recipe truly could not be easier!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees with the rack in the center and prepare a muffin tin by lining it with paper liners.
Start by mixing the dry ingredients (the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt) in a large mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl or measuring cup, mix the milk, egg, sourdough starter, and vegetable oil. Make sure you mix them thoroughly here so you don’t have to over-mix the batter later.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until they are just combined. The batter will be thick and not totally smooth, but there should be no visible streaks of flour. Add the chocolate chips and stir gently again.
Scoop the batter into the muffin tin, filling the cups about 2/3 of the way up.
If you want to (and you should), sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar for a little extra sweetness and crunch.
Step Two: baking and cooling
Bake the muffins for 18-23 minutes, until the tops are golden with golden brown edges. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean, or almost clean!
Let them cool on a wire rack.
You can eat them slightly warm or at room temperature.
🥫 Storage instructions
- Sourdough chocolate chip muffins (like any muffin) freeze great! Make sure they are completely cooled before you pop them in the freezer.
- Want to eat them all now? No problem, they will stay fresh at room temperature for a few days.
Yes, your muffins will still turn out without a sourdough discard. However, the end result may not be as fluffy and light as with a discard.
Yes, you can use any type of chocolate chips that you prefer in this recipe
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Make sure your sourdough discard is somewhat fed before using it in this recipe. A discard that is too sour will make the muffins too tart.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing will make the muffins dense and tough.
- Be careful not to overcook the muffins. Overcooked muffins will be dry and crumbly.
- Let the muffins cool before serving them to ensure that they are properly cooked.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
To complete your family breakfast, try these recipes too:
- Cast Iron Skillet Omelet
- Fruit Salad
📖 Here’s the recipe
Sourdough Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Muffin tin
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking power
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil can substitute melted butter
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup starter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- sparkling sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with the rack in the center. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the vegetable oil, milk, egg, and sourdough starter. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be thick. Add the chocolate chips and gently stir until mixed in.
- Fill the muffin tin with the batter about ? of the way to the top. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-23 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Finished muffins will have golden tops. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack. Serve warm or room temperature. Muffins will stay fresh two days at room temperature or can be frozen up to one month.
5 thoughts on “Quick & Easy Chocolate Chip Sourdough Muffins”
My daughter & husband think these are the BEST muffins ever! Thanks for the recipe!
oh yay! isn’t it funny how kids will always go for chocolate chip muffins 😂
This just took chocolate chip muffins to a whole new level!
What a great muffin recipe! Thanks for sharing!
Delicious and easy – great for breakfast or brunch!