Perfect for any potluck or barbecue, this dish couldn’t be easier to make. It’s made with three different types of beans and smothered in a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- So, so, so easy. Throw everything in the crockpot and let it do its thing.
- It’s a great dish to bring to a potluck or barbecue. Serves a crowd, and even kids like it.
- Filling and inexpensive. You’ll get many servings for just a few dollars worth of beans.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this ultra-easy side dish:
- canned Great Northern Beans (navy beans will work too!)
- canned black beans
- canned butter beans
- barbecue sauce
- packed brown sugar
- seasoned salt
This article contains affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase after clicking on one, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- a 6 quart or larger slow cooker
Step One: rinse the beans
Rinse the beans in a large colander, under running water. This will help remove any dirt or debris. You can dump them all in at once and rinse them, or do it in batches.
Step Two: add sauces and seasoning
Put the beans and the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir well and cover.
Step three: cook
Cook the beans for 6 hours on low or for 3 hours on high. You can also serve it in bowls or use it as a dip for chips.
🥫 Storage instructions
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply put them in a pot on the stove over low heat until warmed through.
You can also freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or stove.
If you need a substitution for butter beans, try lima beans or even garbanzo beans.
We like Sweet Baby Ray’s, or any other sweeter brand.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Make sure to rinse the beans well before adding them to the crockpot.
- Don’t waste your money on an expensive fresh salsa. Just use a basic jarred kind.
- If you want a little bit of heat, add in a teaspoon or two of hot sauce.
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
Serving a crowd? Make these recipes too:
- Pepperoni roll with homemade dough
- Peach and raspberry sweet tea
- Deep-fried pickle chips
- Sourdough pumpkin cake
📖 Here’s the recipe
Crockpot Barbecue Beans
- 3 15 ounce cans great Northern Beans
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans
- 1 15 ounce can butter beans
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Rinse and drain the beans in a large colander under running water. It is fine to dump them all in and rinse them at the same time.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients. Stir well and cover.
- Cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours. Serve in bowls or to dip chips into.