Everyone at the table will love this recipe for green beans with bacon and shallots. Always popular for Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner..
A great cast iron skillet side dish!
We love this green bean recipe any time of year, and often serve it alongside steaks or burgers on the grill. Green beans seem to always do well in the garden for us, and this is a great way to prepare them with lots of flavor.
But if you want to make this for a holiday side dish, it’s perfectly fine to just get fresh green beans from the grocery store. Don’t substitute frozen or canned, however.
Tools and ingredients needed:
- A good cast iron skillet with a lid.
- Fresh green beans
- Shallots. (If you don’t have any, you can use half garlic and half onion.)
- Chicken broth or stock. (Either kind is fine!)
- Salt and pepper
Step by step:
First cook just the bacon in your skillet and remove it to a paper towel. Don’t wash out the skillet!
Cook the shallots until lightly browned.
Add the green beans and stir, almost like you are stir frying, until they turn brighter green.
Add the salt, pepper, chicken broth and cover the skillet for a few minutes to soften the green beans. How long you cook them at this stage is totally personal preference! I like mine crisp tender, so I let them cook for about 3 minutes.
Taste to check for doneness and seasoning.
Then add the bacon back in and serve!
Here’s the printable recipe!
Green Beans with Bacon and Shallots
- 6 slices bacon diced
- 2 small shallots finely minced
- 1 pound fresh green beans washed and trimmed
- ¼ chicken broth or stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cook the bacon on low heat, until crisp, in a large, heavy bottomed skillet. Remove to paper towel to drain. Do not clean out the skillet
- Add the shallot and cook until translucent and slightly browned, on medium low, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the green beans and stir fry on medium until bright green but still crisp. Add the chicken broth and cover for 2-3 minutes until green beans are crisp-tender. (If you prefer them softer, cook an additional 2-5 minutes.)
- Add the salt and pepper. Check for seasonings and add more if needed. Serve immediately.