You can enjoy delicious, homemade pickles with just a few simple ingredients. No canning, no fuss.
All you really need to do is make a brine and pour it into a jar of sliced cucumbers. I know you can do it.
Easy Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
- 2 pounds cucumbers sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Make the brine. In a saucepan over medium heat, add vinegar, sugar, water, salt, mustard seed, celery seed, and turmeric. Bring to a simmer and cook for one minute, or until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool while you prepare the jars.
- Prep the jars. Pack four pin-size jars with sliced cucumbers. It's important to get as many cucumbers as you can inside each jar, or else there won't be enough brine to go to the top.
- Cover cucumbers with brine. Pour liquid into jars to completely cover cucumbers and onions. Depending on how tightly packed cucumbers are, you may have leftover brine.
- Store. Tightly seal and refrigerate for at least 24 hours for the flavors to develop. Store the finished pickles in the refrigerator for 3 months.
- sliced pickling cucumbers
- white vinegar
- brown sugar
- kosher salt or pickling salt
- mustard seed
- celery seed
- crushed red pepper flakes
🥫 Storage instructions
These pickles are best stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. They will get soggy if frozen and since they aren’t processed, they must be refrigerated.
A little. Much sweeter than dill.
I think it’s essential for the right flavor and color, so go get some.
Yes, it’s fine to reuse once or twice as long as it’s not cloudy.
Kosher or pickling. Regular table salt will make them too salty.
Yes, but they will be very soft.
I am not a fan as I think it has too strong a flavor. But if you like it, go ahead. 😊
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- You can add garlic or onions to the pickles if you’d like.
- Don’t forget to start with very clean jars and lids.
- I like to run mine through the dishwasher on the hot cycle just before using.