A delicious use for your leftover sourdough starter, this sourdough coffee cake is swirled and topped with cinnamon sugar streusel for the perfect sweet morning treat.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- Delicious. This coffee cake is one of our absolute favorites: a sweet and tender cake swirled with cinnamon sugar streusel that makes everything more delicious. If you love a nice cinnamon sugar topping, check out my sourdough blueberry muffin original recipe too!
- Great way to use starter. And even though this is a great way to use your discard sourdough starter, there is no sourdough taste.
- Best for playdates. So start brewing a pot of coffee and pop this in the oven. It’s one of our favorite things to make for playdates on Sunday mornings that is loved by the mom and the little ones.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this sourdough coffee cake with cinnamon streusel topping.
- butter, softened
- granulated sugar
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- sourdough starter
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- cold butter, diced
- brown sugar
- teaspoons cinnamon
This article contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase after clicking on one, I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified purchases.
- pastry blender for blending butter and flour together easily
- offset spatula for spreading out the batter
- mixing bowl
- square baking pan
- non stick cooking spray
Step One: make the batter
This is a thick batter, so I prefer to make it with a stand mixer, but you could use a hand mixer if you have strong arms! Make sure your butter is softened before you begin.
Beat the sugar and butter together until well combined. then add the eggs.
Combine all the dry ingredients for the cake in a separate large mixing bowl. Add one third them to the butter mixture and mix. Then add the sour cream and mix. Add one more third of the dry ingredients, mix. Add the sourdough starter, and mix. Finally add the last portion of the flour and mix.
The batter will be thick.
Step Two: make the topping and assemble
Now we make the cinnamon sugar topping. To get a delicious crumbly streusel, you need to blend the butter and flour together first. Start with cold butter and cut it into the flour using two forks, a pastry blender, or by rubbing it together with your hands. Then add in the sugar and the cinnamon.
Now we just have to put it all together and bake! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place an oven rack in the center. Prepare a square pan with non stick cooking spray.
Spread out half of the cake batter into the pan, then sprinkle half of the streusel topping on top. Place the remaining cake batter in dollops and then smooth it out, using an offset spatula if you have one. Sprinkle the rest of the topping on top.
Bake for 40-45 minutes. You will want a toothpick to come out clean, or with just a few crumbs. Let the coffee cake cool a bit in the pan, and then you can serve it directly out there.
🥫 Storage instructions
Any leftovers can be stored at room temperature for up to three days. If you would like to store it longer, you can place it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
No, store-bought yeast will not work in place of a sourdough starter. The sourdough starter is just for flavor and it rises using the baking soda/ powder.
Many people believe that all sourdough baked goods have a more complex flavor profile than non-sourdough. I’m sure about that, but we love this recipe. 😊
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- This recipe can be a bit tricky at first: the batter seems very stiff. But you’ll love the result.
- Many readers have doubled the crumble topping and prefer it that way!
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
Need more recipes to use up your discarded sourdough starter?
- Sourdough banana bread is another quick bread breakfast favorite that we love.
- Sourdough carrot cupcakes are more of a dessert, but would make a respectable breakfast without the frosting!
- And if you’d like to try a yeasted coffee cake, I have a fool proof recipe here!
📖 Here’s the recipe
Sourdough Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel Topping
for the cake:
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sourdough starter
- ½ cup sour cream or greek yogurt
for the topping
- ¼ cup cold butter diced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the center. Prepare a 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 square pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar in an electric stand mixer until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate mixing bowl. Add to the butter mixture, 1/3 at a time, alternating with the sourdough starter and sour cream. Mix gently until just combined.
- To make the topping, cut the butter into the flour until it is the size of peas. Stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Layer half of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the topping on the cake batter. Gently spread the remaining cake batter on top, and top with the rest of the topping.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes. Serve in squares directly out of the pan.