This frozen cocktail is perfect for poolside sipping when you’re craving something colorful and sweet with tropical flavors. It’s easy to make and everyone will love it.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy to make. Just blend everything together and you’re good to go!
- It’s a fun, festive, and refreshing drink that’s perfect for summertime sipping. The pineapple and coconut flavors combined with rum are a class. This version mixes blue curacao in at the end for a special twist.
- It’s a great way to cool down on a hot day.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
You’ll need the following for this fun and frozen cocktail:
- pineapple chunks
- cream of coconut
- blue curacao
- pineapple juice
- Paper umbrellas
In a blender, combine the pineapple, cream of coconut, ice, blue curacao, and rum until the ice is crushed and the contents are smooth.
Add the pineapple juice if you want it to be more liquid. Blend for a few seconds after adding the pineapple juice. Add extra for a thinner pina colada if desired.
Garnish with a cherry and serve in four hurricane glasses.
🥫 Storage instructions
You’ll need to serve this right away. A frozen cocktail really can’t be made ahead.
No. Nooooo. You also can’t use coconut cream, which is unsweetened. Getting this ingredient right is essential for the right coconut flavor.
A blue pina colada is a frozen cocktail made with rum, pineapple, and coconut. It gets its beautiful blue color from the addition of blue curacao. A blue Hawaiian is also a tropical cocktail made with rum and blue curacao. But it isn’t frozen and isn’t creamy.
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Use good quality rum for the best flavor. We like using white or light rum in this recipe. Coconut rum is delicious too, but it’s very weak.
- If you want a thinner pina colada, add more pineapple juice until you reach the desired consistency.
- A hurricane glass makes for the prettiest presentation. Top with a pineapple wedge and cherry garnish. (And of course, a cocktail umbrella!)
📘 Related Recipes
- Love creamy cocktails? You’ll love pineapple and coconut margaritas too.
🍽 Serve it with
Having a summer party? Try these recipes too:
- Ice cream nachos are a fun and easy dessert
- Creamy southern coleslaw is a party classic
- Make a big fruit salad, grilled chicken legs, and some redskin potato salad to round out the meal
📖 Here’s the recipe
Blue Pina Colada
- Paper umbrellas
- 1 15 ounce canned pineapple drained
- 1 15 ounce can cream of coconut Coco Lopez brand is best
- 8 ounces rum white or light
- 6 cups ice
- 3 ounces blue curacao
- 4 ounces pineapple juice
- Blend all ingredients except pineapple juice. In a blender, combine the pineapple, cream of coconut, ice, blue curacao, and rum until the ice is crushed and the mixture is smooth.
- Add pineapple juice for desired consistency. Add the pineapple juice and blend for a few seconds. Add more for a thinner pina colada if you'd like.
- Garnish and serve. Pour into four glasses and top with whipped cream and a cherry.