Cast iron skillet burgers are the best way to make burgers at home. These are juicy, perfectly seasoned, and loaded with all your favorite toppings.
Table of contents
❤️ Why you’ll love this recipe
- Juicy and flavorful. Believe it or not, a stovetop burger is way better than a grilled one. Let me prove it to you.
- A quick and easy dinner. The perfect meal when you don’t feel like cooking, but want something delicious and filling. Pair them with homemade fries for the ultimate comfort meal.
- Versatile and customizable. Whether you like your burger with cheese, caramelized onions, crisp homemade pickles, or just basic lettuce and tomato, this recipe is perfect for adding all your favorite toppings.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You’ll find the full measurements and instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of the page.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious burger recipe:
- ground beef (80% lean)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- dried minced onion
- granulated garlic
- Worcestershire sauce
- Swiss cheese
- hamburger buns
- caramelized onions
- iceberg lettuce
- thousand island dressing or mayo
- cast iron skillet (the bigger the better!)
Step One: season the meat
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce.
Step Two: shape the patties
Form the hamburger into 4 8 oz patties. (make them about a half inch bigger in circumference than the hamburger buns, they will shrink while cooking)
Step three: cook and melt the cheese
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until it is hot and start to smoke. Add as many burger patties as you can without them touching. (you may have to cook them in batches) Cook for 3-4 minutes; flip the patties and add 2 slices of cheese to each and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Transfer the cooked hamburgers to a plate and rest for 2-3 minutes.
Step Four: add your toppings!
To make the burgers, first spread a thin layer of thousand island dressing on the buns. Place 2-3 leaves of lettuce on the bottom bun, add 1 slice of tomato, top with the burger patties, add 2 tablespoons of caramelized onions on top, and place on the top bun.
Serve right away.
🥫 Storage instructions
If you have any leftover burgers, simply place them in an airtight container and refrigerate them.
When you’re ready to eat them, reheat them in the microwave for a few minutes or in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes.
To be honest, they won’t be the same and are a million times better freshly made.
Three minutes per side is all you need for a medium burger. 4 minutes will be closer to medium-well. Homemade burgers are usually overcooked.
A beautifully browned exterior without overcooking the patties.
No, any heavy frying pan will work. Just get it nice and hot first!
👩🏻🍳 Expert tips
- Make sure your skillet is nice and hot before adding the burgers.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan; cook in batches if necessary.
- Don’t flip too much. Just once! You can want them to brown.
- Use high-quality ingredients for the best flavor. Homemade brioche burger buns are a great choice, otherwise look for nice sesame seed buns!
- Don’t skimp on the seasoning!
📘 Related Recipes
🍽 Serve it with
Burger night at home? Make these recipes too:
- The perfect potato salad with hard-boiled egg
- Old-fashioned cucumbers and onions
- Fried pickles with ranch
- And finish off your meal with a cool and creamy vanilla pie
📖 Here’s the recipe
Perfect Cast Iron Skillet Burgers
- cast iron skillet
- Mixing bowl
- 2 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns Toasted if Desired
- ½ cup prepared caramelized onions
- iceberg lettuce Torn for dressing the burgers
- 4 slices tomato
- thousand island dressing or mayo
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef with the salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and worcestershire sauce.
- Form the hamburger into 4 8 oz patties. (make them about an ½” bigger in circumference than the hamburger buns, they will shrink while cooking)
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat until very hot and lightly smoking. Add as many burger patties as you can to the pan without them touching. (you may have to cook them in batches) Cook for 3-4 minutes, flip the patties and add 2 slices of cheese to each and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Transfer the cooked hamburgers to a plate and rest for 2-3 minutes.
- To build the hamburgers, first spread a thin layer of thousand island dressing on the buns. Place 2-3 leaves of lettuce on the bottom bun, add 1 slice of tomato, top with the burger patties, add 2 tablespoons of the caramelized onions on top, and place on the top bun.
- Serve immediately.